Molting hen sleeping all day.

Gigi1983

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
*Hi guys, reposting this as no replies. This molting girl is still sleeping a lot during the day. Has anyone else experienced this during a molt? Can anyone offer any input? Took her temperature again and it's 40.8 today, still pretty standard but up a bit from the last time. She is sleeping with head tucked under wing at the moment, which I'm a bit concerned about. Original post below.*

Hi All,
My RIR Hybrid turned 2 in May. We had her implanted 2 weeks ago due to ongoing laying issues she was experiencing. The implant puts them into a molt, so she started molting 3 days ago and it also happens to be her first molt. She is usually the most active hen in our flock, she never stops all day long. But today she is sitting in her cage and won't come out, which is normal for a molting hen. But what is worring me is she is sleeping most of the day today? So unlike her. I know it is normal for them to isolate themselves and look miserable. But sleeping most of the day? Is this normal? She is also pooping watery stuff. Not much poop in it, mainly water. Kinda like a watery diarrhoea. I've checked her temperature and it is 40.3 degrees Celsius, so nothing out of the ordinary. Any advice appreciated!

She could be ailing with an infection, we don't know, But molt does sap a chicken's energy reserves, causes poor appetite, and some chickens become too weak to eat. Tube feeding to get a molting/starving chicken strengthened is what I do first,

Then I feed high grade animal protein every few days for a few weeks, then once a week for all the molting flock until molt is completed.

Could you please go delete your previous thread on this topic to avoid confusing duplicates?

She could be ailing with an infection, we don't know, But molt does sap a chicken's energy reserves, causes poor appetite, and some chickens become too weak to eat. Tube feeding to get a molting/starving chicken strengthened is what I do first,

Then I feed high grade animal protein every few days for a few weeks, then once a week for all the molting flock until molt is completed.

Could you please go delete your previous thread on this topic to avoid confusing duplicates?
Hi there. Thank you, yes will delete original now. Her temperature is 40.8 degrees Celsius though? So within normal range. Usually they will come in at 42 plus if there is infection? I have Bayril and Amoxicillin/Clavulanic here but wasn't going to give antibiotic unless her temp starts climbing. I wonder should I give it regardless? She is up and about again now but keeps napping. Appetite is good considering she is molting and she's drinking fine. Wracking my brains here trying to figure out if something is up or just the molt. Have you had any do this during a molt?

Before we jump directly to an antibiotic, we try to rule out the most obvious, easily treated issues first. That's why I suggested tubing her and getting immediate nourishment into her. If she appears to be much improved within 24 hours of nourishment, then we might be able to rule out infection and the need for antibiotics.

Are you up for tube feeding? It requires plastic tubing, around nine inches long , and a large capacity oral syringe to fit it. This may seem drastic, but it's very simple and easy, and it gets a large volume of food into the weak chicken without too much stress and time.

While you contemplate tube feeding, give her one cup of water with one teaspoon sugar in it to drink all day today. This can achieve an elevation in glucose and she may respond as she would by tubing a crop full of food into her. It can also give her enough temprary energy to want to try eating.

Before we jump directly to an antibiotic, we try to rule out the most obvious, easily treated issues first. That's why I suggested tubing her and getting immediate nourishment into her. If she appears to be much improved within 24 hours of nourishment, then we might be able to rule out infection and the need for antibiotics.

Are you up for tube feeding? It requires plastic tubing, around nine inches long , and a large capacity oral syringe to fit it. This may seem drastic, but it's very simple and easy, and it gets a large volume of food into the weak chicken without too much stress and time.

While you contemplate tube feeding, give her one cup of water with one teaspoon sugar in it to drink all day today. This can achieve an elevation in glucose and she may respond as she would by tubing a crop full of food into her. It can also give her enough temprary energy to want to try eating.
She is eating away on her scrambled egg and wet mash though? Appetite pretty good considering the molt and I have her on a molt support liquid with B vitamins. See I have nothing to tube her with to hand, I'd have to get it off the vet. I will try the sugar water first anyway. There is a second girl who was implanted with her and is also molting and she is the same today, also keeps nodding off and has head under wing at the moment. I caught the both of them in an old container eating dirty wet straw a few days ago and I'm paranoid that this is the issue, alflatoxin poisoning from the dirty straw. The second girl is drinking water like a mo'fo to the extent she is projectile pooping it out. Both have been given activated charcoal but maybe I'll give them more today. My head is melted here. I wish they would perk up.

I must have missed that information that she's eating well despite being sleepy. No need to tube feed a chicken that is eating normally.

There are so many factors needing considering when diagnosing a sick chicken that we can only make logical guesses and rule things out.

It would help to know your location since environmental factors can enter into this. Has it been hot there?

Also, have you checked the crop to be sure that function is normal?

Yes, eating dirty straw can cause all sorts of problems, from mold poisoning to impacted crop. When a chicken develops impacted crop, they often drink lots of water trying to dissolve it.

Body temperature, unless it wanders well above normal, isn't a big factor. But an above normal body temp can also mean heat stress or even heat stroke, and it can produce these symptoms. Sugar water can also ameliorate the symptoms from heat stress.

I must have missed that information that she's eating well despite being sleepy. No need to tube feed a chicken that is eating normally.

There are so many factors needing considering when diagnosing a sick chicken that we can only make logical guesses and rule things out.

It would help to know your location since environmental factors can enter into this. Has it been hot there?

Also, have you checked the crop to be sure that function is normal?

Yes, eating dirty straw can cause all sorts of problems, from mold poisoning to impacted crop. When a chicken develops impacted crop, they often drink lots of water trying to dissolve it.

Body temperature, unless it wanders well above normal, isn't a big factor. But an above normal body temp can also mean heat stress or even heat stroke, and it can produce these symptoms. Sugar water can also ameliorate the symptoms from heat stress.
Yes have checked both crops and they are fine. I'm in Ireland, Europe and it's been raining all month. Surprise, surprise😅 So not the heat. 100percent, yes I'm thinking it must have been the dirty straw since both were eating it and both are having this sleep issue. I gave activated charcoal and a prebiotic with lactobactillicus 2 days ago, and the one I originally posted about who had been sleeping all day was alert and active again yesterday but today again we are back to limited activity and sleeping. What would you do @azygous? Will I give them another dose of activated charcoal? I presume it can be given daily until symptoms clear...

Yes, continue to give the charcoal for a few more days. Keep it in her system so it can fully neutralize the mold. Fingers crossed that this works.
Yes I'll keep them both on it for another few days. Both had a 2nd dose yesterday. I know eating the dirty straw didn't help things but I'm starting to think it's the molt causing the sleeping. I read an article stating that some hens find it so tough they will sleep through it as much as possible, so I'd say this is what's happening, plus it's their 1st molt so they probably don't know what's hit them. But 100percent, no harm to keep going with the activated charcoal through the weekend because the straw def didn't help. I'll also get them a good B Complex supplement for mood and energy. Thanks for all your help!! Hopefully they'll perk up❤

Back
Top Bottom