1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

molting question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cha Cha Chicken, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    sorry for double posting.... my previous post was caught awash in the vast sea of new posts.[​IMG]
    was wondering if My 12 week old girls will start molting like full grown chickens or will they go through a partial molt because they arent adult?
    they have just a teeny bit of feather loss.....[​IMG]

2. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I am by no means an expert on the subject but my understanding is that the young ones go through a partial molt, and the big full molt is around 18 months or so. So, next year at this time they'll be going through a full molt.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They will go through a juvenile molt. You'll see feathers around, but they won't look bare.

4. Sunshine Chick 1

Sunshine Chick 1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Longwood, Florida
    Mine are molting and I am trying to find out how long they molt? this is our first real molting. I have gone from 22-24 eggs a day to some days only 8. My regular customers are getting upset cause I don't have fresh eggs for them. [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  6. Sunshine Chick 1

Sunshine Chick 1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Longwood, Florida
    Thank you Ridge Runner. That was very educational reading. This is our first molting cause our hens will be 2 in March so they seem to be right on track with what I read. Thanks again and have a GREAT day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by