Molting? Should she be separated?

I have her separated in one corner of the coop. She seemed better yesterday... there was more color in her comb, and her feathers really look like they're coming in. I gave her an egg (which she ate slowly, but she did eat the whole thing) and I left a pan of treats for her to eat that included BOSS, oats, and catfood. Plus she had her regular food. She still sleeps on the ground.

Today, I saw that her poop was watery and yellow/green.

She was yesterday, but I haven't seen her do much today. What will her crop feel like?

She was yesterday, but I haven't seen her do much today. What will her crop feel like?
If she has an impacted crop,it will not empty(go down)it will stay full. Chickens crop normally stays full during day and is empty in morning,check first thing in morning before she has eaten,if it is still full,you may have a problem. I am giving a link for you to look at,explains impacted crop and sour,pendulous crop also.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

Last edited:
I realize that you can keep them on grower,but have not heard of chick starter. I am well aware of the benefits of added protein during molts. I still feel that not enough calcium is provided this way,usually give layer(contains calcium) or grower and provide added calcium in the form of crushed oyster shells,crush egg shells,necessary for egg production. In Canada my grower and layer feed also contains Selenium and Vitamin E,something that chick starter does not have. Each to their own.
My flock raiser feed and the chick starter/grower we have here in my town are virtually the same. I always check labels. Since many of us have chicks, teenager chickens, roosters as well as laying hens, we just find it easier to use the flock raiser. I agree with all of the extra oystershell, and I put egg shells out too. I have just notices that many here do this, and sometimes chick starter here is easier to find.

Back
Top Bottom