molting - to add light or not to add light in the fall

The hawk was 2/3 the size of the chicken. ***?? All these hens are all full grown - even the youngest is full sized now. I thought they would be fine also, as that is what I had read too! I was prepared for night time predation, but not day time from the air. Im bummed. She had a small deformity of her foot, or perhaps a prior injury? She stumbled occassionally. That hawk targeted her, I had seen him checking them out but he was so small!!
Dusty went in to lay her gorgeous egg and the hawk followed. killed her on her nest before she laid her egg. wow.

The tiny hawk is sitting in front of the coop this morning, in the rain. He looks pathetic and so small. he has been loitering around ever since he made the kill.

The tiny hawk is sitting in front of the coop this morning, in the rain. He looks pathetic and so small. he has been loitering around ever since he made the kill.
I'm not gonna tell you what I would do but he's gonna hang around he now knows where dinner is. Keep them locked up. Sorry, for your lose. That tiny hawk is hungry & doesn't think he's tiny. I'm a law abiding citizen but I am a protector of my family & my animals are my family.

Wow, the hawk went into the coop? That's one brazen hawk!

I agree, keep them locked up for at least a week - until the hawk goes elsewhere for his meal.

You can also try hanging CD's around. Hawks see the shiny object as fire (from what I've read) and it deters them. Worth a try.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom