Molting Twice?

chickensforkids

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
The beginning of September my Light Brahma molted like crazy, and her feathers were falling out in clumps. Since then her feathers have all grown back in again. Tonight I went out to put the girls to bed, and her feathers were all falling out again as if she was beginning another molt.

We do have a mite issue that I'm addressing tomorrow, so I'm guessing it could be related, or could it be possible that for some reason she's molting again? Thoughts?

I have been seeing this molting pattern with many my game hens for several years, especially those that are heavy layers. I do not think it is mite related, The feathers not kept long seem darker. On male side my games have eclipse molt which is of longer duration and those feathers are darker and otherwise less showy. Possibly related?

Last edited:
Possibly, she does have mites (I treated her and all the others for them this morning), but some of her feathers that haven't been effected my the mites are falling out. It seems to be in the same way that she molted before.

This year is the first time I have seen birds that have appeared to fully molt in September are now molting again. It is odd, and I was curious if anyone else was also seeing it.

Hope it's not catching....last year common molting oddity seemed to be full molt on birds under a year old.

Back
Top Bottom