One of my girls has started moulting (cuckoo marans) but the other one (blue star) is not. Moulting girl isn't laying and is flying feathers everywhere and seems to be eating less. The other one is fairly normal still. It is their first moult. Is it normal that they're eating less and losing feathers from their undercoat/fluff? I read it starts at head but they have full heads still.

One of my girls has started moulting (cuckoo marans) but the other one (blue star) is not. Moulting girl isn't laying and is flying feathers everywhere and seems to be eating less. The other one is fairly normal still. It is their first moult. Is it normal that they're eating less and losing feathers from their undercoat/fluff? I read it starts at head but they have full heads still.
Molting can start anywhere and go fast or slower.
Normal that they are eating and drinking less as they are not producing eggs.
They may not be as active either, some may even hunker down for a few days.

If it's any consolation, each of my hens' molts is unique. Some dramatically drop close to all their feathers. Others lose them slowly over months or in waves across months. Many of mine have started their molts by losing undercoat/fluff.

They all eat less since they're not laying; and those who are most dramatically molting might have even less of an appetite than others (in some cases, I make mash to make sure they're eating enough during the hardest days of their molts). Some act poorly and will quietly sit in a corner to pass the time--but if they still eat, drink, and poop, then they are okay (just uncomfortable). Many choose not to roost during the worst stretches.

It's always good to be observant and feel their crops before going to bed to ensure everyone is eating (and in the morning to ensure crops are emptying). But expect a haggard looking bunch for a few months!

thanks everyone, you put my mind at ease. they're still enjoying free range time with me in the mornings and evenings, but I noticed they are definitely low key in their run, chilling out on the roosts more and being less active.

Back
Top Bottom