May 29, 2019
My first flock of seven are about 18 months old, and at least three of them are going through a pretty hard molt. I was prepared for the feather loss and all, but I'm also noting some troubling behavioral changes that I'm not certain are a result of molting or something else. So, BYC'ers, please share your experiences and let me know: what's normal?
  • Definite lowered feed intake. Two of my heaviest molters are housed together and their feed barely goes down. It does a little, and they poop (smaller amounts but normal looking). They will eat treats like crazy though.
  • Some have gotten either more skittish/shy, or as an overreaction to such skittishness, more cranky and vicious (to others).
  • Generally looking unwell. Skinnier (or is it feather loss?), less active but do not stay in the coop and will forage outside when given the chance.
  • Other issues: my hardest molter also is recovering from a bout of suspected EYP. Upon treatment her molt went into high gear, during which time crop issues also, we, cropped up. Are crops wonkier during a molt?
  • Everyone is still pretty red. The heavier molters are slightly less red, but I wouldn't say pale.
  • Cessation of laying. No eggs at all from those molting. No behavior like they've got any either.
A couple notes: the birds were dewormed a couple months ago using safeguard. They also just went through mite/lice treatment using permethrin 10 over the last week and a half. The molter who is also gravely ill has been up and down for about a month with mysterious crop issues that I assume have to do with an underlying reproductive issue or--gulp--Mareks, and are likely worsened by the dramatic feather loss/regrowth. This lady has also started growing little feather sprouts across the lower part of her comb (just above the beak)! Comb and wattles very red, but around the eyes = pale! She looks insane, my poor darling.

Anyway. I invite you to share your experiences and help determine (a) what is and isn't normal; and (b) best supportive care measures.

Thank you!!

There's a lot of different 'normals' for molting birds.

Most bird stop laying before the molting starts due to shortening days.
Rare, but not unheard of, for birds to lay while molting.

Reduced feed consumption is normal when they are not laying.
Stop with the treats!
What feed are you giving?
They need more protein and less calcium when growing new feathers and not laying.

Some lethargy can be normal too, not all but most of mine are less active and isolate during the day and especially roosting...new pin feathers are 'uncomfortable' and they don't want to be touched.

Sounds like you have other issues going on with disease and pests...that can also cause problems with feeding and activity.

Stop with the treats!
They need more protein and less calcium when growing new feathers and not laying.

Some lethargy can be normal too, not all but most of mine are less active and isolate during the day and especially roosting...new pin feathers are 'uncomfortable' and they don't want to be touched.

Sounds like you have other issues going on with disease and pests...that can also cause problems with feeding and activity.
Yeah I noticed a decrease and then cessation of laying right before the molt started. I was worried about egg binding or laying issues but then saw the feather piles.

They were on nature's best organic laying feed but at the direction of my vet (when seeking treatment for my EE's likely EYP case) switched to purina layena. I'm wondering if the feed switch got them wonky, however only the molting hens are current being picky about it. As far as treats, nothing much in amount, but a small handful of mealworms or oats, a little bit of plain Greek yogurt a couple times a week, and, occasionally, soft scrambled eggs to give a protein boost. I noticed making their feed into a mash prompts them to eat a bit more.

No one is isolating in the coop/roosting during the day, I just noticed the two heavy molters to be a bit slower, often just standing around in the run looking bummed (when I let them out to free range they are still active). They're crops aren't full and ready to pop like the others at bedtime, but not empty. Less amounts of poop, too, probably due to less intake.

My EE on the other hand is dealing with some big bad mysterious thing, which I assume extends beyond molting. She's got quite the resilient spirit or I would've had her euthanized already. It's just hard to do that when she's still got so much fight: jumps, flies, and roosts; eats bugs; talks to me excitedly, etc. Her life in isolation must be so depressing though :(

Suffice to say, it's been a rocky summer for our girls. I've learned a lot, failed a lot, had small victories, and somehow have kept all 7/7 going (knock on wood) but I'm just waiting for the shoe to fall. Chicken-keeping has me anxious 24/7. I love it but I'm always worried. And now I've vented us thoroughly off course! Sorry!

Stop with the treats!

Yeah I noticed a decrease and then cessation of laying right before the molt started. I was worried about egg binding or laying issues but then saw the feather piles.

They were on nature's best organic laying feed but at the direction of my vet (when seeking treatment for my EE's likely EYP case) switched to purina layena. I'm wondering if the feed switch got them wonky, however only the molting hens are current being picky about it. As far as treats, nothing much in amount, but a small handful of mealworms or oats, a little bit of plain Greek yogurt a couple times a week, and, occasionally, soft scrambled eggs to give a protein boost. I noticed making their feed into a mash prompts them to eat a bit more.

No one is isolating in the coop/roosting during the day, I just noticed the two heavy molters to be a bit slower, often just standing around in the run looking bummed (when I let them out to free range they are still active). They're crops aren't full and ready to pop like the others at bedtime, but not empty. Less amounts of poop, too, probably due to less intake.

My EE on the other hand is dealing with some big bad mysterious thing, which I assume extends beyond molting. She's got quite the resilient spirit or I would've had her euthanized already. It's just hard to do that when she's still got so much fight: jumps, flies, and roosts; eats bugs; talks to me excitedly, etc. Her life in isolation must be so depressing though :(

Suffice to say, it's been a rocky summer for our girls. I've learned a lot, failed a lot, had small victories, and somehow have kept all 7/7 going (knock on wood) but I'm just waiting for the shoe to fall. Chicken-keeping has me anxious 24/7. I love it but I'm always worried. And now I've vented us thoroughly off course! Sorry!
Reduced, no egg laying is normal in molts.
That's good. I keep wondering about egg binding but since it's been over a week and they are pooping/not hunched up I assume they are simply taking a break. Fine with me, those girls work hard (I wish they'd do it more if it were good for them!).

The fact that my EE stopped laying at least temporarily saved her from EYP. I think her hormones are out of whack, though. Growing feathers in weird places and acting like a rooster.

I feed 20% Flock Raiser with Oyster Shell in a separate container for the active layers.
That way they get extra protein to offset the few treats I give, more protein for growing feathers during molt, and they ignore the OS when not laying.
Any recommendation on brand? I was thinking about that or trying a feather fixer feed.

Stop with the treats!
noticed making their feed into a mash prompts them to eat a bit more.

yes. I do this too. I’d give them mash with scrambled egg on top for a protein boost. I just blend up egg and shell and cook it all up before mixing it in or putting it on top.

I use wet mash during the hottest days of the summer to get my hydration into them too. I make mash and push ice cubes down into it. Give it to them in the afternoon.

feed 20% Flock Raiser with Oyster Shell in a separate container for the active layers.
That way they get extra protein to offset the few treats I give, more protein for growing feathers during molt, and they ignore the OS when not laying.

same here. @buffy-the-eggpile-layer Just askyour feed store for their all flock feed that should be around 20% protein. If not available you can always feed a 22% starter/grower for the interim. Recommend a mash with crumble to minimize waste.

yes. I do this too. I’d give them mash with scrambled egg on top for a protein boost. I just blend up egg and shell and cook it all up before mixing it in or putting it on top.

I use wet mash during the hottest days of the summer to get my hydration into them too. I make mash and push ice cubes down into it. Give it to them in the afternoon.

same here. @buffy-the-eggpile-layer Just askyour feed store for their all flock feed that should be around 20% protein. If not available you can always feed a 22% starter/grower for the interim. Recommend a mash with crumble to minimize waste.
I also make a mash of starter/grower mixed with their layer pellets during molt and below freezing winter days. Adding scrambled eggs and other treats keeping in mind the 1-2 TBSP per chicken. https://opensanctuary.org/article/chicken-diet-and-supplements

Back
Top Bottom