Molting

I had an EE who was going through what I thought was her first molt. She lost a lot of feathers, but otherwise seemed fine. This began in October. Yesterday, she seemed lethargic and stayed in one corner of her run. At night, she went up to her coop but was not roosting when I checked her. This morning I found her dead. Obviously, I'm suspecting something other than molting but have heard that molting can be very hard on hens. Has anyone heard of a hen dying during molting?

Molting doesn't usually kill, but it can weaken them, leaving them susceptible to illness. Also, if you kept her on layer, while her body wasn't producing eggs, the high calcium levels can cause kidney failure.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

My 2 year olds are molting now. They seem really hungry as I have added Mill worms and pumpkin seeds as a source of protein. They are extra grumpy as it take a lot out of them. I have kept mine on 16% layer feed. I will switch to scratch for a while as the mornings are much colder anyway.
much better to lean to grower when they are in molt to supplement their protein. Scratch is low protein and high carb.

Back
Top Bottom