Molting

Big Doggie

Songster
Mar 23, 2020
Mass
When can I expect my pullets to molt for the first time? I have some oyster shell stuff for extra calcium but what changes in behavior or health could I expect to see? I have 6 Golden comets who are 14 weeks old.

When can I expect my pullets to molt for the first time? I have some oyster shell stuff for extra calcium but what changes in behavior or health could I expect to see? I have 6 Golden comets who are 14 weeks old.
My Golden Comets didn't have there first adult molt till they were 20 months old. I got them as day old chicks March 30, 2016.
20171223_093020.jpg

A photo from December 17, 2017. GC

Chickens have 2-3 juvenile molts by 6 months of age.
Then the first annual adult molt at around 18 months, give or take a few months.

Oyster Shell is for active layers, has nothing to do with molting except they'll stop eating it when not in lay during the molt.
What is their regular feed?

Chickens have 2-3 juvenile molts by 6 months of age.
Then the first annual adult molt at around 18 months, give or take a few months.

Oyster Shell is for active layers, has nothing to do with molting except they'll stop eating it when not in lay during the molt.
What is their regular feed?
I’ve been using chick starter crumbles. My local feed store runs out of Nutrena but will stock up on Purina or something else. Since they arrived in late April they have had 3 different brands. I also will give them an occasional handful of mealworms and I let them “free range” in a very small fenced in area when I am right there next to them. They can’t get enough grass.

Back
Top Bottom