molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ange, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    There are a lot of feathers in the coop and outside it, can they be molting, it is november, I thought , they molted in the spring,,, they are not too bare and they are l, 2,3 years old, and some 3, Beecause of this and or less day klight we have now 10 hours or so, we are getting 1 or 2 eggs a day, and we have 6 laying hens, rir, buff, jet star. any thoughts on the molting

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have two or maybe three molting right now, and a lot of people on here have been talking about theirs molting.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    good Grief all mine look like they are in chemo and are just nekked! I hate it. Funny a week ago they al looked great, then one morning as I was letting them all out I noticed huge amounts of feathers under their roosts. I actually thought something got in there and got one of them! Then I pucked up each hen and realized ...crud...no wonder why I havent been getting many eggs-hopefully in a few weeks production wil pick up in the mean time lots of protein packed treats for feather regrowth!!

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:They can molt at any time it seems. I have read numerous accounts of that on this forum. I have one that has really gotten to looking bad last week. She is looking better now. First one of my 23 that you could look at and know that she was molting. Seems it has been more gradual with the others. They are around 18 mo old now, all hens.

Best to have lots of protein available for feather re-growth. Some folks on this forum, including me, use calf-manna to add protein. Beans are a cheap source of protein. They can be bought dry and then coarse-grind them for mixing with the feed. Or, they can be boiled and addded to the feed or given separately for a treat. As far as I know, beans are ok for chooks. I give leftover beans to mine at times. Sams club sells various types of beans in 50# bags.

Gerry

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  5. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:They can molt at any time it seems. I have read numerous accounts of that on this forum. I have one that has really gotten to looking bad last week. She is looking better now. First one of my 23 that you could look at and know that she was molting. Seems it has been more gradual with the others. They are around 18 mo old now, all hens.

Best to have lots of protein available for feather re-growth. Some folks on this forum, including me, use calf-manna to add protein. Beans are a cheap source of protein. They can be bought dry and then coarse-grind them for mixing with the feed. Or, they can be boiled and addded to the feed or given separately for a treat. As far as I know, beans are ok for chooks. I give leftover beans to mine at times. Sams club sells various types of beans in 50# bags.

Gerry

6. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Mine just finished molting anything is possible with chickens.

7. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    I just started giving mine BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) but hadn't heard about using claf-manna. I'll look for that at the farm store today. I hope it's available in a smaller than 50# bag. Some of my chickens have been losing feathers too. One is missing all her tail feathers but nothing else, yet. A few are looking pretty scroungy around the tail section. I hope the feathers grow back pretty quickly cause I worry about them being bare in the growing cold. I've been throwing flakes of straw out in the run to insulate from the cold rock beneath them. My coop and runs are on a thick bed of rock. We're putting a red heat bulb on a thermostat to come on and take the extreme chill off when it gets colder, and I'm buying a thermostatically controlled heated watering fount today. And something similar for my dog. trying to cover as many bases ahead of time as I can. It's my first winter with chickens. I'm a weenie about my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by