molting

If you can't get fllockraiser, Gamebird feed is higher protein around 20%. If I can't get flockraiser that is what I use. They can use the extra protein.

Backyard Chicken.com is a great forum for sure, but should maintained care to point fellow raisers in a correct direction on receiving best or quality of advice.

During a Natural Molt (parasite / stress molt may need different supplements)

1) while it is correct to increase the protein during molt,
2) it is not correct to continue extra calcium, ie, layer feed or as in starter (too much uric acid build up -causing pasty butt or damage liver and kidneys during this rest);
3) However, is correct to increase the omega-3 as found in oily seeds such as flax, sunflower.

So while us helping each other with mashed egg is great beginning, we need to understand other requirements & so do better to consult an actual expert.

It is always fast, free and easy to all rasiers at any
Just call/e the poultry expert.
University Ag. Extension dept. , such as MSU, KSU, OSU etc.

- Dr. Mick Fulton loves talking chicken anytime
517-353-3701 or [email protected]
He give you the ins and outs of: honey, yogurt, medicated feed, adult womens vitamin, on and on.

Then we can be more accurate with an actual expert support while certain to keep Backyard Chickens the excellent info source to didicated raisers :)

I read your post about giving hens scrambled eggs and mealworms to help ease the molt. My girls get melworms everyday as their morning treat and are fed layer feed pellets. One is molting, and not laying. The other two are still laying, but I have noticedthat they are alo going ito a molt-as they are all roughly the ame age by aday or two. Should they be on a different food as they go through this process? Our backyard looks like a pillow fight has been going on ;) Is there anything else I can do to help my girls get through their molt? Also, how long does the molt last for, as they just started this week and it is their first molt, as they are a little over a year old. How much meal worms and scrambled eggs do you give them a day?
Thank you again for your post redarding the Molt.
3Sisters

I read your post about giving hens scrambled eggs and mealworms to help ease the molt. My girls get melworms everyday as their morning treat and are fed layer feed pellets. One is molting, and not laying. The other two are still laying, but I have noticedthat they are alo going ito a molt-as they are all roughly the ame age by aday or two. Should they be on a different food as they go through this process? Our backyard looks like a pillow fight has been going on ;) Is there anything else I can do to help my girls get through their molt? Also, how long does the molt last for, as they just started this week and it is their first molt, as they are a little over a year old. How much meal worms and scrambled eggs do you give them a day?
Thank you again for your post redarding the Molt.
3Sisters

Gamebird feed is higher protein around 20%. That is what I use. They can use the extra protein.

Can you get mealworms at most feed stores, and is there a way to help speed up the molt without harming them?
You can get meal worms at most feed stores I know TSC has them. I don't think you can speed up molting and the birds will go through different molts. Some will go through heavy molts and some lighter molts. The only thing I do for my birds is to give them higher protein feed while they are molting.

I also picked up some higher protein feed, and it helped my hens get through their molt. I also bought mealworms through Amazon.com, as I buy in bulk and save. They love their mealworms and "expect" them every morning. So yes to the above, as it helps them grow beautiful feathers.

Back
Top Bottom