Mom and chicks transition to outside

Ameemo38930

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2023
Greenwood Ms.
IMG_4692.jpeg

Chicks hatched Sunday and Monday. I brought them in on Tuesday because we were in the midst of redoing our coop pen and it was raining so much the ground was getting wet. They have been in my bathroom for 5 days. My chickens and ducks free range in my backyard and go up in pen at night. Now question: can I let(Francine the mother hen)and her chicks out with the rest of the chickens? To roam the yard or do I need to keep them separate in the pen? I have a cardboard pen/ brooder. Can they roam the yard with their mother? Will they follow her back at night? So many questions trying to do the right thing.

It would be better if you allow her to introduce the chicks now rather than later, they typically integrate quicker. It’s also very healthy for the chicks to be out in the dirt building their immunity.

Mom will protect them and show them around the yard, so yes you can let them out to free range.

It would be better if you allow her to introduce the chicks now rather than later, they typically integrate quicker. It’s also very healthy for the chicks to be out in the dirt building their immunity.

Mom will protect them and show them around the yard, so yes you can let them out to free range.
Thanks for the reply! I’ll do it today!

Will the mother keep them warm enough at night? The temp for the rest of the month won’t get lower than 47 or 48 on 2 nights.
If a canny ol' game hen can incubate eggs outside on an open hillside through a December blizzard (with temps dropping to HARD freeze for at least a week during that time), your hen will do just fine.

BTW, the game hen hatched out 4-5 babies early January that year from said nest. @RebeccaBoyd how cold was it when Momma Hen did that?

If a canny ol' game hen can incubate eggs outside on an open hillside through a December blizzard (with temps dropping to HARD freeze for at least a week during that time), your hen will do just fine.

BTW, the game hen hatched out 4-5 babies early January that year from said nest. @RebeccaBoyd how cold was it when Momma Hen did that?
For that week temps hit 0. The wind chill was -5 I think. I know that freeze led to several of my flock members dealing with frostbite on their combs and wattles. Momma Hen was perfectly fine in her little cave.

Back
Top Bottom