Mom is attacking 5 week old chicks

Robirda Belina & Curry

Chirping
10 Years
May 28, 2009
Arcata, CA (the true northern CA)
She started chasing them off outside yesterday, which was fine, but they all piled under her at bedtime last night. This evening, however, she wouldn't let them in the coop at all. She came out once, and they all went in, then she came back, cornered, and started pecking them pretty hard. I didn't have any such aggressive issues with our last broody hen. Thoughts?

She's decided they're old enough too it on their own. Maybe it's too warm with those chicks under her. I suggest separating them with some fencing or something, until they are old enough to stick up for themselves, preferably where they can see each other, but not be subject to her aggression.

With breeding chicks with a broody hen, that is an inherited risk. Everyone talks about preferred method of broody hen vs incubators. Except broody hens are moody and can flip a switch and end their natural desires to protect the young. Any one using a hen, can have one whom leaves motherly instincts like a flip of a light switch. Always have a plan B of you use broody hens.

She started chasing them off outside yesterday, which was fine, but they all piled under her at bedtime last night. This evening, however, she wouldn't let them in the coop at all. She came out once, and they all went in, then she came back, cornered, and started pecking them pretty hard. I didn't have any such aggressive issues with our last broody hen. Thoughts?
Looks like she is done raising them and time for them to be on their own I would suggest keeping the babies apart from the adults until they are same size then introduce them. It's the size. Larger ones will pick on smaller ones when introduced to flock. Keep babies apart until then

Looks like she is done raising them and time for them to be on their own I would suggest keeping the babies apart from the adults until they are same size then introduce them. It's the size. Larger ones will pick on smaller ones when introduced to flock. Keep babies apart until then
I have had sows lift and Chuck their babies 20 feet past the fence line. When they feel enough is enough, they mean business. Imagine a 27 lb piglet being scooped up and flinged like a football. Now Imagine a fragile chick being pecked with 90 psi from a fatigued stressed broody hen.

Grey Mare was hinting at a device I call a "panic room". It allows small chicks to safely mingle with adults. Just rig any enclosure and cut 5 x 7 inch openings (more than one for safety). Chicks learn quickly that this means safety and will use it. Place their food and water inside so they always have access to these essentials. The openings should accommodate them until they're ten weeks old.

Five weeks isn't too young for a broody to decide she needs to emancipate her chicks. My favorite broody Linda was a doting mother to her single chick until she was about that age, and suddenly she started to run her off, viciously pecking her if she was too slow to outrun her beak.

They should be fine on their own. They will quickly adjust to being rejected.

Thank you all for the thoughts. The mom and three chicks are my entire flock, and our coop is small, but I think we'll try adding a safe zone to the coop. So if they can get past the door, they'll have somewhere to go. She seems to pretty much leave them alone during the day. I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom