Momma abandoned chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gary palmer, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Gary palmer

Gary palmer Chirping

Jul 13, 2017
    So I made a mistake and didn't close off my broody right away and other eggs got laid in her box. She hatched the first two a couple three days ago. A third was hatched this morning when I woke up. She's not that interested in the new chick and I even saw her peck at it a little. She took the first two outside and left the new one in the coop. It can't really get around that well yet. What should I do? Also there are two more unhatched eggs in her box that definitely have chicks inside.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Staggered hatch stinks and usually the early or the late hatchers will make the sacrifice. :barnie

If you can keep that one in a brooder or another incubator... you can try tucking them under mama in the middle of the night once they CAN get around. I do this all the time, but never staggered that far apart. Or be prepared to raise them yourself. :fl

You can also label the eggs under a broody nice and clear (pencil rubs off I use marker) and check each evening to collect new additions for future reference. :)

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Otherwise try keeping the eggs at 100 degrees until hatch, not turning... and very humid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: