Momma left her hatching eggs, can I give the chicks back to her safely?

Alounsbury

Hatching
Apr 29, 2021
Not really sure where to post this, but after I purchased an incubator and set it up, a hen went broody... but then when 2 of her babies hatched she left the rest of the eggs she had gathered, I managed to put them in the incubator, but one was hatching, and had gotten shrinkwrapped, and momma left it. She was outside with the 2 that hatched, and when she went back in at night, she went to a different nesting box with her other chicks. I was able to get the baby out, and it’s now in my brooder. If there a safe way to return the baby to Momma?

Last edited:
I would try to put the baby chick out with the others but just check on it very frequently to make sure she will take it. There might have been a reason she left it behind. Good luck and keep us posted!

The others hatched a day ago, i meant the baby.... I typed it quickly.
A few days ago I would have said go for it. We have two chickens that are quite noble and I gave to one of them a newly hatched chick when the eggs she was on failed (she took the chick in perfectly, and it was during the day) another hen I had the exact same experience you had and had the chick in a brooder for two days because it was weak and when I showed it to her, long story short it, she recognized the chick as hers no problem.
But just yesterday I have a mother chicken that hatched her own chick, was doing fine with it and all of the sudden got separated from her for a few seconds and attacked it.
So my conclusion, it all depends on the chicken's character, if you present it to her, stay there and see what she does; had someone suggest that you should put it in at night in the nest, beneath her so she'll accept it but don't know how well you get along with your chicken... If she will allow you to put your hand in.

Hey everyone, thanks for the suggestions, I’ve tried the chick napping, and adding them at night, and Momma Hen was still going after them, so they are in the brooder, Maybe I’ll have better luck next time.

Back
Top Bottom