Momma said there would be days like this....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mystang89, Oct 2, 2011.

1. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    So its fall time and starting to get cold. I figured all the hawks and flying predators were hunkering down and preparing for winter. I guess I'm wrong. I had 7 leghorn hens that are 4/5 weeks old, fully feathered out and looking nice and chunky. I let them free range and have for about 2 weeks now. Nothing has gone wrong. I went in tonight to put them all to bed and did my head count...1.2.3.4.5.6.......6.....ermm wheres #7? So I pull the flashlight out and start my search around the yard, the neighbors yard, the wood pile, under the coop, under the watering area and in their food area. Nothing, notta, zero. The only thing I can figure is that a bird of prey carried her off...I can't any sign of her anywhere, no feathers, no body no anything. Anyone have any clue if it could be anything else or if maybe she is hidden somewhere I couldn't see. Think she will come back, provided she hasn't become food for some other bird? Couple that on top of the fact that the only leghorn that I have that is actually laying ended up having an egg break inside of her so I had to put her in the tub with warm water, pull out what I found left over and hope that everything will be ok. Did everything I could with her so now its a wait and see game. Top that with having my 8 week old puppy dying on me. She laid down and I went to wake her up to go potty and she didn't move, dead, blood running out of her mouth and nose so buried her before the kids could see that. As a famous singer once said, "Momma said there'd be days like this, there'd be days like this, my mommy said.....[​IMG]

2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    I'm so sorry about your puppy you're making me cry [​IMG] If she isn't hiding then a fox probably got her, they leave no trace. I'm so sorry and I hope you find her. Good luck [​IMG]

3. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Whatta day!! [​IMG]

Maybe your girl will show up in the morning. [​IMG] I'll keep my fingers crossed. And there is still hope for the broken egg leghorn.

I'm so sorry about the puppy. We do get attached quickly, don't we?

4. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Yeah we do. The kids loved it, wife cried, even my husky had gotten attached to her.

5. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    i had a 4 month old pullet wander away and forget to put herself to bed one night. She can running up to me the next morning happy-go-lucky like she did nothing wrong.

6. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I can only hope the same happens. I would be so happy to see that.

7. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Wow, what a day!! Thank goodness your kids did not find the puppy. So very sorry!!! I'm crossing my fingers that your hen show up fine and dandy! I love to let my girls free range, but I can't stand the lose of hens to predators, so we only free range when we can be out with them. Too many hawks, coons etc. Best of luck.....tomorrow is another day, and I hope it is a better one than yesterday.....

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If it's a pred it will be back so everybody needs to be in lockdown for now. Birds that young/small are very vulnerable free ranging. Hoping though that #7 is okay and just out and about and didn't know how to get back. Maybe she is stuck somewhere (on a fence, a brach, between 2 objects..). scared and maybe hurt and needs rescue. Great big thorough search.....
    Bird with broekn egg may need antibiotic because sharp shell could easily cause infection.
    So sorry also about lil' pup. [​IMG]
    JJ

9. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    could she have got under you house?
    Gone broody somewhere?
    Do you know anyone with a dog that can track? Muzzle it and send it on a search for your hen!

My Goldie is handy for seeking out my lost hens... Pity we are WAY too far away.

10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I just can't see a fox catching a White Leghorn. Those birds are the quickest I've ever seen. She might wonder back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by