Momma's eggs hatched (in the nest box). Advice needed

MI_Chkns

Chirping
Dec 5, 2022
S.E. Michigan
Looking for some advice. I had a girl go broody in one of the next boxes. I left her there to complete the process. The last egg hatched last night and she's doing great. I can't leave them where they are because the others want to box, and it is about 30" off the ground. I plan to move her and the chicks to a small pen in the run. My question is should I leave the pen open so momma can come and go as she pleases? Or should I keep her penned up? I have a rooster that is awesome and I "think" he won't be an issue, but I'm worried the other hens may go in while momma is out doin her thing if I let her have free roam. I already had found one hen sitting on her new babies this morning and had to drag her out. Any advice appreciated.

Usually, mine come off the nest by themselves in about 12 hours from hatching. I just make sure there is clean bedding on the floor, and she will make a new nest on the floor. I have tried to make just beautiful nests...and none of my bloodies have liked them, and make their own somewhere else.

So I would just let her do that. Then I do have clutter in the run. What I notice, is she takes them out to the flock, and stays between them and the flock. I just quit trying to control the process and let her manage it. She knows more about being a chicken than I do.

If they are not off the nest, go ahead and take her down, scoop of the chicks and put them down with her. 30 inch is nothing I have heard of chickens getting chicks out of a hay mow 15 feet in the air. I do set up water and feed on the coop floor, and make sure the broody sees it. But other than that, let her do her thing.

I do not have an elevated coop, where birds walk up a ramp to get in...My door is a few inches off the ground. I pile a few boards in front of it, and have never had a problem.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom