Mom's Putting a rein on my Addiction

chickensducks&agoose :

My permanent limit was 4... i now have 8... and can't have any more... must sell/give away some in order to get more... good luck!

Ha! That's like me, at first it was three, but then we needed more two hens because two of the original three turned out to be drakes. After a period of juggling with raising a clutch of eleven ducklings and aquiring five more ducklings to choose from that I particularly wanted in my flock, and selling all the ducklings and grown drakes I didn't need, we had it down to six. (3+2-2+11+2-8+3-3=6) Whew!!
That was going to be the permanant limit.
roll.png

But then City Chicker was selling a male/female pair of Holderread Gold Welsh Harlequins!!!!!
ep.gif
I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how I could part with two of my flock to make room for those Harlequins when my husband took pity on me and lifted the six duck rule.
love.gif

Now I have an incubator and am holding my breath until Spring!!
jumpy.gif

joe had promised me i can have a ton of ducks when we buy a house with a big backyard. Right now there's just victor and ming mei, but i am baby sitting vinny and ollie (david's ducks) over the winter break while he's home. And then Joe's two new baby's are coming on the 16th (can't wait!). So for at least 3 weeks, there will be six in the house, but the two are going back with david when break's over. Then we'll have a permanent four ducks in the town house.
We've been toying with the idea from trying to breed the magpie marking's into a runner... so perhaps their will be tons of ducks in our future... I've also expressed interest in having at least one of every type of runner color holderead's has to offer. lol. And joe is talking about wanting to build an aviary for mandies, woodies, and ringed teals. lol. i have a feeling by the time i hit middle age i will own more ducks than i'll know what to do with.

I think a good number is 32. If that's too much you can always try for a nice round number like 25.

Id go with infinity as well. Just keep in mind that some times focusing on one project at a time is better. Trust me, been there done that. Im not saying multiple projects dont work out just that sometimes its easier to focus on one thing. I tryed a whole bunch of different things with my flock this year and was already thinking of a whole bunch of other stuff already then I sat down and though and realized it was pretty overwhelming. So next breeding season im only breeding Muscovies with possibly one batch of Silkies for a close friend.

Thanks! I dont really have any projects... I mean The only thing Im really looking forward to is what colors Catfish's babies will be, since she is drop dead gorgeous. And I might do something with the scovies, not sure yet though.

Quote:
It looks like you're like me and have your inner circle of ducks that will never leave until they die.... 5. Then you have another 5 you could part with, but you think you'd rather not... 10. You have 6 runner/magpie ducklings you want think you want to keep... 16. You're on a muscovy kick at the moment. Personally I would drop the muscovies because they fly. They stay near, but like to explore. Maybe you can move them in and out but not keep any as permanent residents if you like them. I haven't heard you to be extremely attached to them. You want to do your designer ducks and maybe a few pures. As of right now that would add 2 more drakes... 18. if you're still interested, I'll be sending you off a silky pair in the fall... 20. Add in the chickens you want to get 3 or 6.... 23 or 26.

I would double that number... 46 or 52 as your permanent number. That gives you wiggle room to trade out and/or add some more drakes and females that you like the coloring of, keep some that you love the personality of that become part of the inner circle... that number also lets you drop down as you prepare for spring without having dip into anything you're really attached to.

Back
Top Bottom