monarc23 - Thank You

Discussion in 'Quail' started by navasima, Nov 25, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    The step-by-step processing post. Thank you for that!

Now, I've been elbows deep in organs - human and animal - but always in the context of an OR or lab. I've never ended a life and processed anything myself before. Whole different ball game!! The post that you made was so clear that it made it possible for me to get through "my first time" quite easily. A hundred fold thanks!! My DH even said that - 'Wow! those look just like the ones online!' That's what I was aiming for [​IMG] .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Now that is what a quail should look like in stage2. Stage 3 should be golden brown.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    monarc23 doesn't come on here anymore, but I'll let her know that you 'used' her thread [​IMG]

4. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thanks shellyd!

TedJan - DH gets to enact stage 3! [​IMG] We have a system based on each person's strenths...he cooks, I eat! [​IMG]

5. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    All that matters is it works out in the end. [​IMG] My wife hunts with me and has taken several large animals. She helps field dress them and pack them out. She gets bloody doing it and it doesn't seem to bother her. Now for a chicken or a quail she wants no part of the process. She will cook it but doesn't want to be involved with the deed or be around while its happening. I can't figure it out. [​IMG]

6. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    I think your DW and my DH are in the same club in this one instance. [​IMG] He and the munchkin left the house while I did "the deed". S'okay - like you said...as long as it all works out in the end.... I'm waiting to find out if he likes to eat quail before I put a hatching / processing system in place..... [​IMG] Now, this is the same person who can't wrap his brain around eating duck eggs. Best way I can put it - His idea of camping is staying at the Holiday Inn instead of Four Seasons. [​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I'm kina fond of a pair of scissors for processing between this and skinning the bird it is fairly quick to process 30-40 birds

8. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Great Job Navasima!
    Now , I don't mind cleaning them, and I can handle watching, just can't actually put one down... not yet at least. So at the moment,, that's DH's job.

Ted~
    Maybe your wife see's them as pets. [​IMG]

Me and DH come from a hunt and fish family...
    My mom hunts quail... But has threatened my life if I give dad any of ours... [​IMG]
    All I"ve heard from her is "How could you "! ??! "you raised them!"
    She used to watch her grandma kill a roo and cook for sunday dinner... [​IMG]

My brother laughs and says mom is getting soft in her old age.

But , boy she sure did enjoy the eggs I fixed for Thanksgiving! [​IMG]

9. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    It helps not to think about the fact that you're killing it(just moving it to the next step of it's job). Just pull the back of the head away from the body and spin it around a couple times. Don't mess with your processing birds anymore than just to feed, water, and clean the pen so as not to get attached to them.

10. TedJan92_in_Idaho

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Quote:I think that she sees them grow up. If I would just go buy them and then process them there wouldn't be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by