Money Saving Ideas

You're quite welcome, Kris. I'm glad to finally *meet* someone who actually does this. After first reading the SoJo piece, then watching the video, we had quite a discussion about this after our church service one day. Although I've not done it myself, I completely respect those who do.

And, for those who find this a squeamish way to live, there's always Craigslist. Same idea, minus the dumpster!

Oh, and the video is working now, so I know that the link is good.

Found this online today and thought it would fit in here very well.
smile.png

20 Tips to Save Money on Gas

Posted on 08/09/2007
With the astronomical prices of fuel these days, many people have had to tighten their budgets to make room for more spending on gas. However, with the application of some gas-saving tips, you can keep your spending to within a reasonable range, and help save the environment at the same time.

1. Maintain your vehicle. A vehicle that runs smoothly uses less gas than one that is poorly maintained. Regular oil changes, air filter and other recommended maintenance will all help to give you a fuel-efficient vehicle.

2. Keep your tires inflated. Actually, studies have shown that the savings on gas isn't huge, but it does make a small difference to keep your tires inflated to the recommended pressure. And more importantly, this is also safer and makes your tires last longer.

3. Don't drive during rush hour. Go to work, and come home from work, either earlier or later if possible, to avoid the rush hour. Getting stuck in a traffic jam, and stop-and-go driving, is one of the worst ways to waste gas.

4. Telecommute. Working from home can save tons in gas, not to mention giving you more time, productivity, and happiness. If you can telecommute even one or two days a week, this can be a substantial savings.

5. Remove weight. Driving with more people, and more stuff in your car, drags the car and requires more fuel. Lighten your load by removing excess cargo.

6. Minimize idling. One of the worst offenders in lowering your gas mileage, idling gets you zero miles per gallon. If you are going to idle for a minute or less, leave your car on, but if it's going to be much longer than a minute, you should turn off your car.

7. Drive slower. Driving the speed limit is more fuel efficient than speeding.

8. Accelerate and brake easier. Driving too agressively, especially starting fast and braking fast, is bad for fuel economy. Accelerate gently, and try to minimize use of your brakes, if possible.

9. Use higher gears. Driving fast in low gears is bad for fuel economy as well. Drive in as high a gear as possible, unless you're down-shifting in order to slow down or control speed.

10. Buy a fuel-efficient car. Actually, this is the most important tip on this list. A heavier car wastes gas. Get a lighter car, especially one with a fuel-efficient engine and design. See the federal government's article on choosing a more efficient vehicle.

11. Roll up windows on highway. While many people think they're saving money by turning off the air-conditioner, it actually creates a strong drag if you are driving fast with the windows down, and is worse for your fuel economy. If you are driving slow, around town, turn off the air-conditioner and roll down the windows. Roll them up on the highway.

12. Don't top off. Topping off while you are filling up your tank is a waste of gas, as any gas that you top off will spill or otherwise be wasted.

13. Park in shade. A hot car evaporates gas. If it's a hot day, park in the shade, and use your garage.

14. Walk. Driving less is a great way to save gas. If you have to make a trip of only a few blocks, try walking instead. You will burn fat instead of gas.

15. Cycle. Many people live close enough to work that they can commute by bike. It's not hard, and you get exercise while saving money.

16. Live closer to work. Of course, you probably won't be able to implement this tip today, but the next time you're considering where to live, try to find a place close to your workplace, or try to find a job closer to your house. It will save a lot of driving.

17. Group errands. Instead of doing one or two errands a day, try to group them all on one day, and plan an efficient route to cut back on driving.

18. Carpool. It's not usually hard to find friends, family, or neighbors who live in your area and work near you. Take turns driving each other to save gas for all of you.

19. Use cruise control. This method has actually been proven to save a lot of gas, as it reduces heavy acceleration and heavy use of the brake. A steady driving speed will improve fuel economy.

20. Don't buy hot gas. Buy gas during the morning or evening hours, when it's cool, or you will be buying gas at a time when it's expanded (and thus getting less).

Quote:
That's correct. I neglected to point that out. Thanks for the reminder!

However, since the amount of mercury is relatively small, about the size of this >>> . <<< per bulb, it's only an issue IF, you drop one (the vapor is the problem, leave the room, and carefully clean up after the air has settled) and IF you dump them in the regular trash so that multiple sources of mercury begin leaching into the system. Treat them as you would your spent batteries, then the mercury will be reclaimed and recycled, plus less mercury is being released by the electric company to power the higher wattage bulbs!

I've changed nearly every bulb in my house to CFLs and have cut my electric bill significantly. It's now down to just about $50 a month!

In our area, several stores like home depot, or IKEA provide areas for you to drop off your new fangled twisty lightbulbs when spent, and they go to the proper facility to deal with them. DON'T TAKE THEM TO YOUR LOCAL DUMP, THAT'S A NO NO.

Recycled a lot of my laundry water by reusing,,,,I just stored it in large containers when it was spinning out and scooped it back into the washer when it was time to fill,,,use wash water 2X and store rinse water,,,,then use old wash water to flush toilet or water flowers and use stored rinse water for wash water,,,it also saves on the amt of soap you need,,,my clothes came out fine.

Cut laundry soap use in half,,,,,,most people dont need all they use

Last edited:
Here's another:
If you own electronic equipment that stays in the "ready" mode, such as microwave ovens that exhibit the time or TVs with a remote there is electricity that is used even when the appliance is not in use. If you unplug them or use an electric strip you can conserve the "phantom energy" that is used when the appliance is not in use. You may have to wait for your TV to warm up before it goes on, but you'll be saving energy that adds up over time.

Quote:
We have a new sony LCD and ... *squints at tv* it has a sticker on it that says its energysave, anyway it has different options for watching, so if you have a new television... you can often set it in the energy saving setting, it takes time to warm up, and it turns off automatically if left idle for 5 minutes, but it saves a buttload of power.

Freecycle.org and craigslist are great money savers (and you can make a little at craigslist if you have patience).

Those of you with the water saving ideas, I thank you for using these and sharing them. Here in central Florida, we're experiencing the kind of drought that makes those of us who use well water VERY nervous...I am trying to convince my husband that a rainbarrel system would be a benefit but I think he thinks I'm talking about drinking cistern water.
roll.png
He'll catch on eventually.

So anyway, water is not the only reason to conserve resources, and I thank you!

Wow. These are awesome. You'd also be surprised at what you can get free from stores just for the asking. Think of everything they need to throw out and will end up in trash, all because it's needing to be replaced for the new inventory to come in.

Thought of a lot of ideas that I use, so here goes ...

For the posters on dumpster diving. That's a great way to get some good stuff! My brother brought me home the laptop that I sold to get the one I'm using now - for my business - from where? Trash. It was at a business office he worked at as security many, many years ago and worked great. Someone just left it and never come back for it. Not sure why, but hey, getting a laptop years ago that worked? For free? I'll take it
smile.png

Also, my mom's brought home plants - tons! - from Lowes and Home Depot before by finding out the day they were trashing a lot of the plants there that were starting to die off since they weren't purchased and needed to get new inventory in. The entire back of her car was filled with plants that they gave us! Free. And they just needed planting to come back. Just ask them.

Another great idea from the Hardware Stores - Lowes, Home Depot, etc. - are to ask them - when you need some wood - if there are 'scraps' that were cut wrong, or too small to sell, etc that you could have. A lot of the time we've received tons of great wood for free or significantly reduced. Same with paint. Instead of buying premixed and such, go to the station where they mix paint. A lot of customers have paint that ended up the wrong shade, so Home Depot (especially used that store since it's right down the hill from us) will place those 'rejects' close by and sell them at a really discounted price.

Another option for buildings supplies that I recently heard of and had completely forgot about until recently are new home sites. Construction sites will have a lot of old wood - still in good shape, new wood, bits and pieces of everything left over from when they've built and will pile it up needing to be trashed. Just ask them if you can scavenge and since it will be thrown out anyway, they'd be more than happy to get rid of it.

Need heavy duty boxes? Or maybe a wine rack would work to store things in your home? Ask. Go to a wine store and ask if they are needing to get rick of some of their display racks, racks in general, etc. And most would be happy that you will take them off their hands. Go to fast food joints and ask if they have some good heavy duty boxes that they need to get rid of. Very helpful when moving. We've packed our vehicle plenty when friends have moved and needed boxes.

Batteries. Buy rechargables. May be more expensive, but the amount you save - and the enviroment - from not throwing them out? Way more $$$ in your pocket.

Someone said this before, but UNPLUG from the wall any electrical appliance. Even when in energy saving mode - doesn't say energy eliminating does it? - it still takes electricity. It just reduces it, but doesn't eliminate. And the biggest energy user of all? Computers. I recently read that this includes even when plugged into the strip. As long as the appliance is plugged into the wall in some way. It is using up money from your wallet. If you can unplug it when not in use, do it. I unplug aquariums at night. All computers. All things I can. Other than my chicks heat at night, there isn't one thing plugged in at night in my room and I try to do so in every room as well.

Turning off heater at night also is a good idea as well. I don't care if it's freezing outside. I turn it off and tell everyone to bundle up. Adding sweaters doesn't cost $, but turning that heater on and up does.

Shampoo. I'm not sure when I last purchased shampoo, but when you run out of shampoo don't throw that old container away. Purchase a family size shampoo, then fill the old one halfway with water, halfway with shampoo. You'll use the same amount, but 1- It's better for your hair and 2 - You use less overall. For conditioner you can try the same, but I've found that instead of conditioning while showering, I only shampoo the top 1/4 of my hair, then when I get out I apply about a nickle sized or dime sized - I have long hair - amount of conditioner to the last 3/4 of my hair. You'll have to play to figure out the exacts for your conditioner since some need less. But, I use so much less conditioner, but my hair absorbs it just as good, if not better after the shower than while in. Also means less time in the shower.

Choosing to use cold water over hot water - so that the water heater don't need to come on - while washing clothes, dishes, everything. I use that and everything stays clean. With some messes you need warm water to get them clean, but overall I stick with cold water.

If, like myself, you need your coffee - as someone pointed out - you don't really need to buy it from major chains. I've never done so. I buy the cheap store brand - I like Albertsons and Safeway - if it's on sale. I can get a huge thing for only $3.99 and honestly, I think it better than Folgers, Starbucks, etc. I also reuse coffee filters. I bought that reusable container that you use in place, but for my smaller machine - I use during the day - I reuse coffee filters. They stay good for some time. Just wash em off.

For cereal - again with buying store brand. And, I don't buy one tiny box of good cereal that maybe only gives me a bite or two. You know the ones I'm talking about. I buy the store brand. I buy one good one, and one plain. Say one frosted flakes type with one basic flake. I mix the two together, throw in my own toasted old fashioned oats, toasted almonds, and whatever else you want throw in. Now you've got the equivalent of 5 or more of those little boxes for the price of one, or less.

Instead of buying toys - which they don't like anyway and cost too much - and things for my dogs. I make all of them that I can. I make toys out of rope, out of cardboard tubes, old scraps of cloth, etc. And I don't buy treats. IF they get them, they get homemade. I do homemade ALL the way for EVERYthing I can.

Decorating in your house. More frivolous idea when your trying to save money, but this is just another great idea to save money. Instead of buying things for the house, I go outside and bring in. I use rocks, twigs, etc. I once saw a mirror for a lot of money that I liked. I went outside, grabbed a bunch of twigs and glued them around the edge of my mirror, instant makeover - looks better than what I saw. Try making the things you want. Same with asking friends who are remodeling their homes for items they are throwing away. My mom had wallpaper that she bought - on sale - a long time ago. My walls are a cream color and the paper is a darker cream with vines. I took a stapler and used the few strips I had to staple them up on the wall. Only two of my walls there was enough for. Another throw away scrap I had was a brick pattern. Not color matching though. I stapled it to a nook area in my room and made a dark wash for it out of some scrap paint and it tied in with the rest of the room. Whenever I want remodel I plan on removing the staples, then my room will have a whole new look without a penny spent. When I change it again, I'll put the paper back up, but on different walls. Really great way to freshen things up in your home while not costing a cent, but people think I spent a fortune.

If you do want go out and have your hair cut for really cheap. Beauty schools. I've done this and only spent a few bucks on a hair cut, but it was perfect - though this was years ago and only did since she was a friend of mine. Beauty schools have students that need to have 'models' to work on and earn credit for with their teachers close by, but these are usually students about to graduate so it's unlikely they will mess up, and they only charge minimal amounts.

I'm sure I'll think of more!

Oh, I almost forgot. Saving on gas. This is another good neighborly thing, but when we need to buy just one or two things from the store, we find out who's going and ask if they'll pick up this or that. You give them the money, they are already going out and going there, so it saves a lot of gas. Just make sure you give them the same courtesy of calling and asking if they need anything when you're going out.

Don't be embarassed to post things that are a little more frivolous either. As long as it's 'Money Saving?' It'll work here.

Last edited:
Shop for free. That is what I do.

If you have a CVS, Walgreens or Rite-Aid close by then you can shop for free too.

CVS has an Extra Care program that gives you "Extra Care Bucks" or ECB's if you buy certain items during their promotions. They have weekly deals and monthly deals. For example, this month if you buy the Adidas 3 deodorant for $4.99 you get a $4.99 ECB. The ECB's can be used on your next purchase. You can also use coupons on the items that give you ECB's and some of these actually turn into money makers.

Now, I know you are going to say that $4.99 is a lot of money to spend on deodorant but what if I told you that if you used the FREE coupon from the May issue of All You magazine (found at Wal-Mart for $1.77) then you will be making $4.99 by buying this deodorant. There is no money spent OOP (out of pocket) to get the 1st deodorant and when you get your receipt there will be a $4.99 ECB on the end of it.

You then roll that ECB to buy other stuff. You could spend it on the other items that are FREE after ECB's and by the time you are done shopping you will have all of the deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, etc you will ever need with only a small amount of money spent OOP.

There are TONS of coupons out there that will give you free or nearly free products.

Walgreens has the Register Rewards program. Rite-Aid has the single check rebate. All of these programs are made to save you money and when it comes right down to it only a small percentage of the US population takes advantage of them or even uses coupons.

I love Bush's new Grillin beans. They are $1.25 at Wal-Mart and there were $1.00 q's available. I bought 40 cans of beans for $10.00.

Farmland bacon has a $2.00 off q available so 50 cents for a lb. of bacon at Wal-Mart.

A lot of grocery stores double q's. I shop at Kroger and Giant Eagle. Most Krogers double only to 50 cents but GE doubles to 99 cents. I have 55 cent off coupons for Nestle ready to drink flavored milks. After the doubled coupon they are 19 cents each. They are normally $1.29 each.

There are just so many examples I could give you. I have 2 full freezers and a full pantry. I have enough toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, bar soap, make up, razors, etc to last me a few years for a family of 5. All bought for only the tax.

I recently took some of my extra's to the soup kitchen. I had 2 full large U-Haul boxes packed with food that I got for free. I also took them 2 Wal-Mart sized bags of toothpaste and deodorant. They were thrilled.

I'm not sure if I can provide the links to the great coupon sites so PM for a list.

Take care,

Tami

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom