Money Saving Ideas

1.I use cloth diapers. They are the same ones from 10 years ago from baby #1.
2.I figured cloth diapers, why not cloth wipes. Flannel was on sale 1.99 a yard, They wash with the diapers.
3.And (men don't read) I am currently making cloth menstrual pads. You can use old towels for the inside. If it goes well I was thinking of selling some at the farmers market.
4.I have a compost bin. I called the city and asked for one, they gave me an old city trash can with the lid and wheels removed. I drilled holes on the bottom and sides.
5.When I remodeled a few years ago ( the house desperately needed it) we did much of the work ourselves. But we put in duel pane argon filled windows.
6. Tankless water heater.
&. Gas pack
9.Energy star dishwasher.
10. Ceramic tile through out the house (cooler in the summer we live in Phoenix)
11.Turn old T-shirts into grocery bags.
12.Haven't done it yet but looking into selling at the farmers market.
13. Don't pay for cable.
14 My cell plan is a month to month with unlimited minutes. It's really much cheaper but no one wants to go with cricket.

Quote:
Now there is something that is a great point to add. It's true. My mom is constantly worried about the fact that I don't give treats to my dogs and she thinks they are so skinny. I leave food for them all day long, but they constantly get outside and exercise so they don't actually eat as much as most dogs. Heck, my Aussie should apparently be eating around 5 c (I think it is) of food a day and she doesn't. She's healthy, happy and very energetic as all Aussies are. All my pets have loads of energy and it's simply because they don't get overfed and don't get all those handouts. And if I do? They are leftover veggies from dinner that is healthier options for them. Treats (that you buy in the store) can be just as bad for dogs as cookies for us. But people need to also be responsible for their pets. I don't feed name brand food to most of the animals either. And my dogs are quite healthy and happy. I get sick of people thinking that dogs need constant food. They can get obese as well! Same with cats. My cat is getting older and I had to cut back her food supply because she isn't getting as much exercise and was developing a pudgy belly. Now that she's lost her weight and gone back to normal size, she's healthier and more active. You'd never guess her to be almost 13. Other than normal checkups/shots/spaying, I've never had to take her to the vet either. So in turn, that saves you money.

Also, I've heard that people that eat less (animals it would work for too I'd guess) overall end up living longer. Now, I wouldn't starve myself, but cutting back a little can't hurt your budget.

I think the fact that animals have to be on a leash full time isn't helping thier obesity any either. Unless the owner runs, the dog never gets to either...and that's if the owner takes the dog with him on a run. I really think it is more about exercise than it is about food. I know I put on about 15 pounds every winter...diet doesn't change much...actually I think I eat more in the summer because I get so hungry labouring around here. In winter I read alot of books and try to stay warm inside:>

I've noticed more tendency for animals that live in the house to become obese. Either food is available all the time and they eat all the time or the family feeds them with every meal because they feel guilty about eating in front of them. They don't get outside enough for natural exercise, either. I am a hospice nurse, so I travel a lot in 3 different counties. Every house I visit has 100 % obese "indoors" animals....and I mean grossly overweight. Cats AND dogs. My sister has around 11 dogs. They all are round as barrels, they can barely walk without getting winded. Four of them stay in the house, the rest are in kennels.

Did anyone get the new Mother Earth News? Has an article in it about 32 ways to save on money....some of them were great!

I'm sure someone has already mentioned some of these, but I haven't read all of the pages (
tongue.png
sorry, call me lazy!).

*CLOTH DIAPERS! (I know someone did just mention this one, but it's so great I want to say it again!) They aren't that hard, really. Cloth wipes with cloth diapers are actually easier than using disposable wipes with cloth--throw the wipes and dipes in the laundry together. Anyone want to try cloth diapering but doesn't know where to start, feel free to PM or Email me anytime!
big_smile.png

*Ladies, breastfeed your babies! Obviously this tip is only helpful if you're pregnant or planning on getting pregnant.
wink.png
Formula is expensive and it's not very healthy anyway. If it's hard for you, get help from a good lactation consultant.

*When it comes to food/groceries, the more someone has had to prepare it for you, the more it costs. Like cheese, for instance. Don't buy cheese sticks, shredded cheese, sliced cheese--do it yourself!! We buy 2 lb blocks of nice Cabot cheese for $9. Shred it, slice it, cube it ourselves. MUCH cheaper.

*Dry your laundry on a line.

I have lots more but it's late and I've been working all night....this is a great thread, I've got to go back and read all of the posts!

Quote:
That's a great point. Luckily, I have a back yard, so my dogs can run around a lot - and I purposely go out there and play hard with them so they get the exercise they need. Around here, I've walked my dog for an hour or more for exercise for me, and in the process she got that long walk as well. When you own a big dog - or even little dog - you do really have to understand their exercise needs and give them that. And if you live in a place with older kids and you'll be at work all day, you can easily ask them to take the dog for a walk, or come to your house/apartment to play with the dog.

But, it doesn't hurt them to cut them back a little bit on food so that it can save money.
smile.png
And I think we are all guilty of putting the winter weight on. It's a natural process for the body that comes from our bodies preserving that extra weight to keep us warm in the winter
tongue.png
We can all use that excuse - it's a natural process.

Nichole77 LOVE those ideas!

Beekissed I agree. I think it also has to do with the fact that most people don't really take into account that dogs are animals that need to get exercise. They see them as their friends - which yes, I see mine as my baby girls - instead of taking the responsibility of truly taking care of them, and getting that exercise is what they need. Of course, we also have to consider that the percentage of obese pets are ones that are owned by obese people. Because they don't get exercise they really don't consider that need of their animals. These are not commodities we are talking about. Obesity kills animals and causes vet bills to pile up just as much as it does with humans. I don't care how busy I get. My dogs and cat - even my chickens and bird, get the exercise they need. If I were at the point where I was too busy to do it myself, I would ask one of the neighbor children to play them down, take them on a walk, come over and play with them, etc. Heck, even just ask a neighbor that you see walking a lot, or running alot if they'll take your dog. I've had kids from the neigborhood always asking if I wanted my dog walked and this was after I'd just walked her for over an hour! Course looking at her dragging her feet like I am, I wouldn't do that to her
tongue.png
I also take her with us to the mountains too. She loves it. One of the best breeds for someone like me that likes exercising - she can keep up with me
smile.png

I can't say that I really have anything to add here, but there's a few things we do here that helps save some money...

1. Cloth diapers. My 3 yr old is potty trained now, so we only have one in dipes, but I haven't bought disposables in... well, I think I got some as a shower gift once
lol.png

2. Cloth wipes, family cloth and mama cloth. They all go in the wash with the diapers. Works for us.
3. Breastfeed. That saves as much as cloth diapering. My nursling is 15 months old and still very much a boobie baby. I'm very pro attachment parenting.
4. I buy staples (mostly in bulk) at walmart, like flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, etc etc. Making things homemade saves a buck, but it takes longer.
5. I inventory my pantry and rotate. I use this site alot : http://www.cindysporch.net/pages/kitcheninv.shtml ... Making a meal schedule for the month really helps out with groceries. I don't buy things I don't need, if they aren't on my list.
6. I make soup and pasta a lot right now. Once we have the new chicks and they hit laying age, we'll be eating a lot of egg based dishes. Once we get the goats, ooooh man, I can't wait.
lol.png

7. We have a prepaid cell phone, that we only use for emergencies... so it's less than $20 every 2 months to add some extra minutes.
8. I sew my own heavy duty grocery bags. I've even made my baby carriers to match the bags LOL

I have a few more ideas that I'd like to put into play once we get the homestead up and running. I tell ya, going to my pantry for some canned home grown veggies will be fantastic.
big_smile.png
I can't wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I didn't know they still had homesteading places available? or is it the idea, rather than the actual?
I love the idea of homesteading, I think it's in my blood. my mother always said ~ "you come from good sturdy pioneer stock, m'dear"~
(especially after I would complain about how thick my bones seemed to be in comparison to my friends...or how I had birthin' hips... or any number of other body image complaints...lol)
~Red

Back
Top Bottom