Money Saving Ideas

I know alot of people raise a garden, but mostly in the spring till fall. Well there are lots of crops that can be raised late fall and winter. Just to a few Tundra Cabbage will grow all till spring, all types of greens and such, broccoli late fall, beets late fall, all types lettuce late fall early winter, onions, late fall potatoes, plus many more veggies.
old.gif

Quote:
Sigh . . . . Yes, I've seen these reports as well. And, I've also heard the counter-arguments by dermatologists who suggest that these are extremely rare cases, folks with preexisting severe skin disorders who then spend an enormous amount of time sitting next to these bulbs - people who're housebound and park themselves next to the CFLs. And, while we're at it, don't forget that some migraine sufferers may also be impacted by these bulbs. I know someone who has this condition, and she shouldn't use CFLs, or any fluorescent bulbs, for that matter.

Yes, there are risks with everything we do. There's a risk to be taken with CFLs, and there's the cost to the environment by the production of electricity by other means. Cell phones may cause brain cancer; microwaves are bad for us; sun causes skin cancer, it's dangerous to drive down the street; and if you have stairs you may fall down them.

I'm not making light of your concerns in any way. It's important to be aware of the risks with all that we do, but outside of firm studies suggesting a grave risk to my health (which don't yet exist for CFLs), each of us needs to make our best judgment about what to do. In the meantime, I will be keeping an eye out for the studies on the CFLs. When I changed mine out, I saved the good regular bulbs. If you're the least bit concerned about the CFLs, I highly recommend that you hoard a few of the regular bulbs before they're phased out in the next decade or so.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Really? So do you have to pay for each and every pc you connect to your internet connection? I have 5 connected to my internet access and never hear squat about it. That's the whole reason behind routers, to share the connection. There's all kinds of unsecured wireless networks throughout town, finding them is no problem.

And, honestly, when it comes to saving money, do we really want stay 'perfectly' within the boundaries of the law if nobody would turn us in, or know? As long as - provided - is isn't something that will harm anybody, or something bad and that really is illegal for a reason. What 'they' don't know won't hurt us - of course it could.
tongue.png
We certainly don't know everything 'they' do.

Quote:
Now there is something that is a great point to add. It's true. My mom is constantly worried about the fact that I don't give treats to my dogs and she thinks they are so skinny. I leave food for them all day long, but they constantly get outside and exercise so they don't actually eat as much as most dogs. Heck, my Aussie should apparently be eating around 5 c (I think it is) of food a day and she doesn't. She's healthy, happy and very energetic as all Aussies are. All my pets have loads of energy and it's simply because they don't get overfed and don't get all those handouts. And if I do? They are leftover veggies from dinner that is healthier options for them. Treats (that you buy in the store) can be just as bad for dogs as cookies for us. But people need to also be responsible for their pets. I don't feed name brand food to most of the animals either. And my dogs are quite healthy and happy. I get sick of people thinking that dogs need constant food. They can get obese as well! Same with cats. My cat is getting older and I had to cut back her food supply because she isn't getting as much exercise and was developing a pudgy belly. Now that she's lost her weight and gone back to normal size, she's healthier and more active. You'd never guess her to be almost 13. Other than normal checkups/shots/spaying, I've never had to take her to the vet either. So in turn, that saves you money.

Also, I've heard that people that eat less (animals it would work for too I'd guess) overall end up living longer. Now, I wouldn't starve myself, but cutting back a little can't hurt your budget.

Quote:
They are these wonderful little ball with nubs all over them. If you put two of them in your dryer, they help to circulate the air by keeping clothes apart. In short, they are supposed to cut dryer time a little and eliminate dryer sheets. Do they work? In my opinion....yes, if you ask my MIL...no. To each his own.

Also heard you can make your own with two tennis balls. Tried it myself and it seemed okkaayyy, but hmm
hmm.png
Guess you'd have to get used to it. It's a little different hearing balls bouncing around your dryer
tongue.png

Work out at home.

Constantly being asked by people if I go to the gym when I work out. Huh?! And have either tons of sweaty men staring at me, or just plain having to use that equipment? Uh no thanks. I work out at home. I didn't buy an expensive $500 + treadmill either. I did buy a manual for $100 once (tiny little thing) but if I'm going to walk, or run, in place? Why not just do it? Run in place
tongue.png
Sounds hilarious, but it worked for me. I do not see paying who knows how much on a gym membership when you can do it at home. Use rocks for weights if you don't want buy any weights - done that once when my weights were left in the room of somone sleeping and I wanted work out with weights
smile.png
I use old weights my dad had. Or, fill up gallon jugs. Play with dogs for running. Walk the dog for walking. Garden to work muscles. Buy a boxing bag - dad got me an old one a female kickboxer was selling at garage sale. Hand wash dishes. Sweep. Build things. Why would someone want pay for gym? I can promise working around the house can give you plenty of workouts - hehe

Oh, and the swap idea. I remember reading about a great idea for swapping clothes. You and friends arrange a once a month (or however often) to get together. When you do, bring old clothes that you no longer wear and want get rid of. Then, each person swaps clothes (hopefully people similar in size of course) with each other and everybody walks away with something new. This would work with anything you're wanting get rid of anyway. I've brought over things I didn't want to friends (and vice versa) plenty of times. What's old to you is new to the next.

All these ideas are wonderful and giving me great ideas as well. Thank you to everyone for contributing so far and keep them coming - I really appreciate it. Please remember also, to thank everyone who's idea helps you to think of something to do, or that you plan on doing their idea. Helps everyone feel appreciated for being able to help each other out
smile.png
I know it does me!

masschix wrote:
tiki244 wrote:
I have a question: What is a dryer ball?

They are these wonderful little ball with nubs all over them. If you put two of them in your dryer, they help to circulate the air by keeping clothes apart. In short, they are supposed to cut dryer time a little and eliminate dryer sheets. Do they work? In my opinion....yes, if you ask my MIL...no. To each his own.

kisat wrote:
Also heard you can make your own with two tennis balls. Tried it myself and it seemed okkaayyy, but hmm Guess you'd have to get used to it. It's a little different hearing balls bouncing around your dryer

Yes, it does take some getting used to. The only advantage to the dryer balls is that they will soften during drying time and aren't as loud after about 15 minutes. But great idea with the tennis balls! I'll have to try it.​

Back
Top Bottom