Mongoose proof chicken tractor

That's the best bet.
No need to bury wire, do mongoose dig?
A permanent apron can work fine, might have to bury partially where ground is uneven.

Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208
I have some slope at my run .... nothing crazy. For my uneven parts, I was able to cut the apron and either overlap the cuts or add an extra piece to fill in what got opened by the cut.

I'm afraid not. The grass has already grown through so much, the hardware cloth can't be seen. I'll check around my old pictures to see if I have any.
No pictures of it on my phone, I'll have to check the camera.

Would be great to make a coop page, with any construction pics you have.
I'll have to do that at some point .... I still have things that need to be finished. The windows need some more work. I'd like to add some decorative painting as well. A few other odds and ends to attend to.

Personally I would consider using an trailer as a mobile base for this project. Find an old trailer/boat trailer and build on top of it, it'll be up off the ground and you can easily pull it around the property

I think the point of a tractor is to let the birds forage on the ground. They are mobile do the grass doesn't get destroyed in any given spot.

Maybe a solar powered hot wire set up?
Personally I would consider using an trailer as a mobile base for this project. Find an old trailer/boat trailer and build on top of it, it'll be up off the ground and you can easily pull it around the property

I think the point of a tractor is to let the birds forage on the ground. They are mobile do the grass doesn't get destroyed in any given spot.

Maybe a solar powered hot wire set up?
OP mentioned moving them around a "farm" with "uneven" ground, which is why I suggested the trailer. I have similar terrain and would definitely want to be able to pull my setup around with something like a lawn tractor/ATV/etc. I've got a rabbit hutch tractor design and it's a pain in the ass to move it around, especially if going uphill. For a larger chicken tractor that needs to be moved more frequently, no way I'd want to move that manually.

I see no issues configuring things to give them access to the space underneath the ground under the trailer. If I wanted that, I'd definitely make a flip-down apron to protect the entire perimeter when it's stationary. Would likely make a hole in floor with a ramp to the ground; probably put an auto door on that access point so they're secured at night.

OP mentioned moving them around a "farm" with "uneven" ground, which is why I suggested the trailer. I have similar terrain and would definitely want to be able to pull my setup around with something like a lawn tractor/ATV/etc. I've got a rabbit hutch tractor design and it's a pain in the ass to move it around, especially if going uphill. For a larger chicken tractor that needs to be moved more frequently, no way I'd want to move that manually.

I see no issues configuring things to give them access to the space underneath the ground under the trailer. If I wanted that, I'd definitely make a flip-down apron to protect the entire perimeter when it's stationary. Would likely make a hole in floor with a ramp to the ground; probably put an auto door on that access point so they're secured at night.
Their issue was clearly not moving it around, it was securing the perimeter on uneven ground from mongoose. Thanks for clarifying how you would deal with the issue raised, I'm sure it's helpful to the op.

Aloha!
So sorry for the loss of your birds.😞
Plural of mongoose is mongoose!
I keep my birds in coops with attached runs covered with 1/2 inch hardware cloth with a 12 inch apron tacked down with 6 inch landscaping staples. Mongoose are serious daytime predators that can climb, dig and get through small spaces. Hardware cloth is expensive but worth it to avoid the heartache.🥰
Thank you for your kind words. This group has helped us so much in the 24 hours since I joined, I'm just blown away. I think understand better now how the apron works (yes, I'm definitely a newbie to the max!). Instead of trenching and burying the hardware cloth a foot in the ground, laying a foot of it on the ground is enough to keep them tunneling under to the coop. We really would like it to be mobile. I love @aart's tractor with the apron that lifts up. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom