Monster Duck

xke4

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2007
336_p7260011.jpg
This "little" fellow arrived at our rehab facility yesterday. He is totally imprinted, still all fluffy and downy and HUGE. He is bigger than our full grown Mallards. What the heck could he be? I have read that Mallards sometimes cross with Muscovies which could give him the bigger stature so that is a possibility. Any other ideas? That stripe over his eye is quite rusty orange in colour. Until we figure him out, he will be residing here with my
7 Wood Ducks due to be banded and released this week,
6 Mallards 3 weeks old
1 Wood Duck 40 days old
2 Mallards 50 days old
3 Wood Ducks 4 weeks old and these guys
336_p7240027.jpg
that arrived on Friday. My guess is Muscovy. Am I right? Thanks, Carolyn

Yes...the head of my duck looks like the head of the female Rouen. Thanks! This will be the 3rd farm duck that I have inherited from the wildlife rehab facility as they are not able to release them when they mature.

I agree with Rouen for the monster duck. The duckling on the left is a scovy and the other one might be a runner or a buff duck.

Cuties, too!

They could be red Muscovy ducklings. Do Rouens have black webbing? Mine don't. Only our rouen crosses have black feet. I think it could be a mutt.

The pair of ducks were found with the same dead Mother so that's a possibility. The disturbing thing is that none of my ducks came from a farm, only one is considered wild. All of them were brought in to our wildlife facility having been found just wandering. I wonder if people get them as babies and grow tired of their upkeep, then dump them. Because afterall, they are ducks, right? Surely to goodness they can fend for themselves....... Grrrrrrrr.

Back
Top Bottom