monster in my basement

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dadsdeercamp, Mar 9, 2011.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    i just found this hole in my basement i think it is too big for a rat. what do you think it could be? i live in east central minnesota in an old farm house 100+ years old
    [​IMG]
    thanks

2. Is that a mouse trap or rat trap in the picture? i think it could be a rat. They can dig some mighty big holes.

3. moetrout

moetrout Songster

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Could be a few things. Dust the area with flour and check back for tracks. Post a pic of the tracks if you are not sure what they are.

4. dadsdeercamp

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    its a rat trap

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    EeEK! It is a rat.
    Hi, I live down near Rochester. I too have a 100-year+ farmhouse. I haven't seen rats in there though, thank God! We have loads of mice though.
    I did have a garden rat get in the garage last spring/winter and trapped it and baited the trap, but used a squirrel trap.
    Good luck. Mine came from the compost heap when we moved it and made its way to the garage where I keep my chicken and rabbit feed.

6. Okay, then i vote "rat". i have them constantly trying to dig into my pens and the holes are about that size.

7. dadsdeercamp

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    just put flour down and found 2 more holes. never had rats in the house before dont have a clue what to do

8. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    ZOMBIES run now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or rats

or ZOMBIE RATS

probably rats

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Lots of traps or find someone with some spare barn cats they'll let you have.

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yup, traps or cats, you pick. If you bait them, they can die in the holes and then they stink to high heavens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: