Montana

How are your birds holding up? I’m in Blue Creek and my thermometer in my coop says 0F. My girls refuse to leave their coop. I’ve been replacing their water every 30 minutes (I decided to WFH today because, heck no I’m not driving downtown just to sit in my office when I can do the exact same thing at home).

I broke down and bought a cozy coop radiant heater from Shipton’s but when I tested it out first in my house, the surface temp got to 170F! So I really don’t feel comfortable putting that in the coop.
My birds have always done well in cold weather. In other years when it was -22 F they were outside in their run all day. I do winterize the run. There is a roof on the run and 3 sides are covered in clear vinyl shower curtains. Fortunately there is an electrical outlet near enough to the coop to supply electricity to my winter waterer. The waterer and food are in the run. The birds always have thawed water. The birds don't seem to mind the cold at all. They spend all day outside pecking and eating and drinking.

There is no heat source in the coop. There is no insulation in the coop. There IS 10 square feet of high open ventilation that is never closed in my 6' by 8' coop.

I live in Kalispell.

Hi Montana peeps, first time back on the forum in a couple of years. Been without birds for a minute but hoping to get started back up with them sometime next year. We're moving up that way this summer, staying with friends for a bit so can't have birds right away this summer. But, I'm doing my research now, because waiting until the last minute sucks. We'll be in the Townsend area, ish. Not set on a location yet but would like to be closer to friends than not.

Just a couple of questions, apologies if they've already been answered, but with 300+ pages of content I'd be here a while otherwise. Haha!

My already answered question was whether ya'll bother to insulate or heat coops due to the sub-zero temps. I'm seeing no on that. That's one box checked. I assume hardier birds are recommended of course, and no bird I've ever had wanted to walk around in the snow, so having a run at least partially covered would be helpful.

Second question, does it hail much up that way? We're in Colorado at the moment and hail storms are nasty and frequent in the summer. This is less a chicken question and more a garden question, but I figure you guys know best.

Third question, was that freak wind storm a few weeks back "freak" or is it more common than the weather channel seems to indicate? It's windy here, but I'm trying to contemplate chicken coop styles now so I can have an estimated startup cost. If I'm putting dang hurricane ties on everything, that factors pretty heavily.

Thanks for any and all help! There's so many things to consider moving to a new place, but we're excited to get back into a more rural setting. Been stuck in cities for close to a decade now, and it's getting very old.

Hi Montana peeps, first time back on the forum in a couple of years. Been without birds for a minute but hoping to get started back up with them sometime next year. We're moving up that way this summer, staying with friends for a bit so can't have birds right away this summer. But, I'm doing my research now, because waiting until the last minute sucks. We'll be in the Townsend area, ish. Not set on a location yet but would like to be closer to friends than not.

Just a couple of questions, apologies if they've already been answered, but with 300+ pages of content I'd be here a while otherwise. Haha!

My already answered question was whether ya'll bother to insulate or heat coops due to the sub-zero temps. I'm seeing no on that. That's one box checked. I assume hardier birds are recommended of course, and no bird I've ever had wanted to walk around in the snow, so having a run at least partially covered would be helpful.

Second question, does it hail much up that way? We're in Colorado at the moment and hail storms are nasty and frequent in the summer. This is less a chicken question and more a garden question, but I figure you guys know best.

Third question, was that freak wind storm a few weeks back "freak" or is it more common than the weather channel seems to indicate? It's windy here, but I'm trying to contemplate chicken coop styles now so I can have an estimated startup cost. If I'm putting dang hurricane ties on everything, that factors pretty heavily.

Thanks for any and all help! There's so many things to consider moving to a new place, but we're excited to get back into a more rural setting. Been stuck in cities for close to a decade now, and it's getting very old.
I don't insulate or heat my coops.

Hoping that thisbsnap doesn't continue longer than it was supposed to. I have lots and lots (If anyone still needs birds around May, let me know) Of chicks coming in March and I'm already in danger with 2 of my Cornish cocks possibly freezing in this weather. Moving them inside the barn tonight if they're still alive but I'm honestly not sure that will be much warmer

Back
Top Bottom