Montana

Howdy,

Newbie here from Hamilton. Now that I am retired I figured I would try getting some chickens. Need to start from scratch with everything. Would it be better to get mature birds so we can have eggs right away? If so, where locally can we get them? Surfing for coops at the moment.

Thanks!

Hi Grizdad! Welcome.

I'm doing my about once a year check in.

Chicks will be for sale soon in the supply stores (Murdochs?) I like to hatch my chickens out every Easter here. I have never tried finding Laying hens myself so not sure, maybe just asking around with people who have chickens?

Good Luck to you!

Howdy,

Newbie here from Hamilton.  Now that I am retired I figured I would try getting some chickens.  Need to start from scratch with everything.  Would it be better to get mature birds so we can have eggs right away?  If so, where locally can we get them?  Surfing for coops at the moment.

Thanks!

Look on Craigslist. Have seen some hens for sale there.

Hi everyone I need some help in showing some chickens this year at fair and I know how you show showmanship but for breeds do the judges just come to the cage and look at them or do u have to bring the chicken to the table??? I'm in Lewis and Clark county if that helps thank you!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome! We went to Murchochs this morning. Their chicks just came in. We took home 8 and they seem to be doing great so far! Got 2 of each; Orpingtons, Black Australorps, New Hampshire Reds, and Cuckoo Marans.

Thanks for the warm welcome! We went to Murchochs this morning. Their chicks just came in. We took home 8 and they seem to be doing great so far! Got 2 of each; Orpingtons, Black Australorps, New Hampshire Reds, and Cuckoo Marans.

Welcome from Great Falls! Glad you got your babies and they are doing well. Sounds like they have a nice selection -- best of luck with them! They're so much fun to raise !

You may get lucky & find a few nice laying hens on Craigslist for sale, or in your local paper. Be careful, as there people out there that will get money out of you, saying that the hen is a young one and currently laying & turns out they are 4-5 years old & someone just wanted to unload them. This happened to someone I know.

Hi everyone I need some help in showing some chickens this year at fair and I know how you show showmanship but for breeds do the judges just come to the cage and look at them or do u have to bring the chicken to the table??? I'm in Lewis and Clark county if that helps thank you!!!

Here in Gt Falls at state fair, the judge goes to each cage...just like in the open shows. Any other questions just ask :) I'm a 4 H poultry leader and grew up doing this stuff. So glad you're going to show at fair!

Back
Top Bottom