Montana

One can only be 100% on autosexing or sexlinked chicks. It's definitely one of the selling points of those types. Autosexing are birds that present differences in down patterns at hatch, yet are purebred, and sexlinks are F1 hybrids where males and females are totally different colors. Even so, if you want autosexing birds, be sure the breeder maintains the autosexing feature in their birds, because sloppy breeding can make it more difficult to sex them down the road.

I'm going to start my first batch of chicks soon, it's going to be blue birchen French Marans! I'm pretty stoked, I picked up the blue genetics last year so it will be my first official hatch for that color variety!

IMG_20180106_152920673.jpg
IMG_20180106_152857479_HDR.jpg

My French Marans pen, with five splash and two blue birchen hens and a birchen cock. From this matchup, I should score many many blues! I'm also wondering what patterns the splash hens might be hiding under their black inhibitor genes.

Thanks for the advice! I was looking into Cackle Hatchery as an alternative to getting chicks from a Montana Farm. Has anyone used them before? Also, I know Murdoch’s carries baby chicks but I don’t know if they carry sexed chicks. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks!
I have Ducks which I ordered through Metzer Farms (Only because ducks are a bit harder to come by) But if you have a Murdochs in Bozeman (I am over near Missoula) then they will have a huge selection of chicks in afew months, and if I remember correctly, some of the breeds were sexed. Last year when I stopped there they even had a printed off sheet that told you how many of each breed would be arriving each day. Also, ask around at the feed stores around Bozeman. Then you can go and pick the healthiest looking ones. Metzer is really amazing too, but only carry 2 breeds of chickens (they mostly concentrate on Ducks....and I will be honest, I am so happy I started with ducks instead of chickens...they are so cute, hilarious and entertaining. They have bigger eggs and lay as much if not more than chickens....just some food for thought!) Good luck and let us know how it all goes!!!

I have Ducks which I ordered through Metzer Farms (Only because ducks are a bit harder to come by) But if you have a Murdochs in Bozeman (I am over near Missoula) then they will have a huge selection of chicks in afew months, and if I remember correctly, some of the breeds were sexed. Last year when I stopped there they even had a printed off sheet that told you how many of each breed would be arriving each day. Also, ask around at the feed stores around Bozeman. Then you can go and pick the healthiest looking ones. Metzer is really amazing too, but only carry 2 breeds of chickens (they mostly concentrate on Ducks....and I will be honest, I am so happy I started with ducks instead of chickens...they are so cute, hilarious and entertaining. They have bigger eggs and lay as much if not more than chickens....just some food for thought!) Good luck and let us know how it all goes!!!
Good to know! My husband LOVES runner ducks but my dog is allergic to chicken, duck, and all eggs so i’m Nervous about them laying eggs everywhere. We may have to build a separate area and try them next! What kind of ducks do you have?

Good to know! My husband LOVES runner ducks but my dog is allergic to chicken, duck, and all eggs so i’m Nervous about them laying eggs everywhere. We may have to build a separate area and try them next! What kind of ducks do you have?
I have 2 Cayuga's, 1 Khaki, and 1 Blue Swedish. Definitely getting afew more Blue Swedish this year! They are big and hearty for Montana winters, and I feel like she acts like the big sister, very protective of the others. Best part, she lays the biggest yolks! We have ours fenced off so the dog, cats, and eagles cant get them. They still have a huge corner of the yard to hang out it though. Mine actually make a little nest in the one corner of their coop and all lay in that little area really early in the Morning and one usually sits on them to keep them warm until I get out there to collect them. Makes it nice and easy. Lucky Lucky me!!!! I have heard of ducks just laying wherever they please though. hehe.

Hey North West Montanans...I have a duck with a bum leg I am looking to rehome. I feel awful even saying that. She is the sweetest thing. She slipped on ice over a month ago and has been in the house even since then. From what I am finding online, pretty much all bird rehab people around here deal with wild birds, mostly raptors. we have been wrapping it and trying anything we can, but she is still struggling. It doesn't seem like she is in pain though. We were going to keep trying to work on it, but my partner and I are both extremely busy right now AND we broke up recently. She deserves to be taken care of properly and hopefully join her kind again soon. If anyone out there is great at bird rehab and willing to take her, it would break my heart, but i would be so grateful. Also, we will probably be looking for someone to take our 3 other ducks. I love them to death, but with a breakup, not everything works out. :( Any input?

It would probably help if you put pictures, breed,gender, and age.
Nobody is going to just take 4 ducks 1 injured needing a vet and unknown gender breed and age thanks

Thanks for the advice! I was looking into Cackle Hatchery as an alternative to getting chicks from a Montana Farm. Has anyone used them before? Also, I know Murdoch’s carries baby chicks but I don’t know if they carry sexed chicks. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks!
I ordered from cackle this year and got 2 boxes of dead chicks so I'm not sure what they have going on. Tractor supply has a brochure with over 30 breeds you can order from Dominique's to marans and wyandottes 10 chick minimum and I think it was 24 bucks for 10 wyandottes shipped total price

When I ordered chicks for early in the year they all came dead. However, the next week I got all live by paying for a heat pack to go in the chick box. Learned my lesson. Whenever I get chicks early in the year I always order a heat pack included. Have chicks coming next week from MM with heat pack.

Back
Top Bottom