Montana

Honestly that wind was something else. But I live on a hill with no trees or bushes, so everything is a direct hit. My coop and run are situated to the east of my garage, so my house blocks all the westward winds.
Did you see the report that wind was up to 103mph somewhere in Glacier county? And to think, I thought the 45mph at my house was bad. I can only image 103!

Honestly that wind was something else. But I live on a hill with no trees or bushes, so everything is a direct hit. My coop and run are situated to the east of my garage, so my house blocks all the westward winds.
Did you see the report that wind was up to 103mph somewhere in Glacier county? And to think, I thought the 45mph at my house was bad. I can only image 103!

we are Also on a hill, I’m pretty sure we were getting close too 100mph gusts. I have no trees either, it moved an empty water hauling tank clear across the yard, good thing my fence caught it 🙄 Very happy I wrapped some fencing around my round bale or I’d have nothing left 😂. Just Crazy. I have actual Dirt dunes in the yard now, there was a huge wild fire in sept that burnt my pasture and several thousand acres around us and there’s just Nothing holding the topsoil in place for miles. The shop catches Some of it, but generally I have to tie my coop door closed from the outside, think we will be turning it this spring.. what a pain. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• 6EE0128D-28EE-4282-98F8-3792044992C9.jpeg
    6EE0128D-28EE-4282-98F8-3792044992C9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 816F41D0-E7D5-4285-9355-DDD6D2444631.jpeg
    816F41D0-E7D5-4285-9355-DDD6D2444631.jpeg
    603.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 3CC60694-07F9-4285-AAF1-C14914DBA7C5.jpeg
    3CC60694-07F9-4285-AAF1-C14914DBA7C5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 8BC17DB3-DC4D-44A5-83A5-A6D49E9E3B58.jpeg
    8BC17DB3-DC4D-44A5-83A5-A6D49E9E3B58.jpeg
    956.3 KB · Views: 3
Corvallis/Bitterroot Valley here! I have two golden laced wyandottes, one blue wyandotte and one black unknown :) Looking to get as many wyandottes as my husband will let me :)

They are So Pretty those Wyandotte’s!! Just sneak them into the coop... after a while they get hard to count when they are running around 😂

Corvallis/Bitterroot Valley here! I have two golden laced wyandottes, one blue wyandotte and one black unknown :) Looking to get as many wyandottes as my husband will let me :)

my GLW was an accident since Shipton’s told me it was an Australorp. However she became my favorite as she’s the nicest, has not stopped laying, and is so gorgeous! I get the addiction. I say sneak in a some straight run Wyandottes to guarantee baby Wyandottes...

we are Also on a hill, I’m pretty sure we were getting close too 100mph gusts. I have no trees either, it moved an empty water hauling tank clear across the yard, good thing my fence caught it 🙄 Very happy I wrapped some fencing around my round bale or I’d have nothing left 😂. Just Crazy. I have actual Dirt dunes in the yard now, there was a huge wild fire in sept that burnt my pasture and several thousand acres around us and there’s just Nothing holding the topsoil in place for miles. The shop catches Some of it, but generally I have to tie my coop door closed from the outside, think we will be turning it this spring.. what a pain. 🤦🏼‍♀️
I initially thought you were posting pictures of a sandy beach. That is wild! I have that fear we will get a brush fire near my place. So far we have been lucky, but we know if fires do make their way where we live, it’s mostly up to us to take care of it. I’m concerned the lack of precipitation this season, coupled by the record breaking precipitation we’ve had the past few years is going to make for an intense 2020 fire season. The plant growth was so intense the past few years that last summer we had apocalyptic proportions of grasshoppers. They annihilated everything I planted. My seven chickens could NOT keep up.

Last edited:
my GLW was an accident since Shipton’s told me it was a Australorp. However she became my favorite as she’s the nicest, has not stopped laying, and is so gorgeous! I get the addiction. I say sneak in a some straight run Wyandottes to guarantee baby Wyandottes...

I initially thought you were posting pictures of a sandy beach. That is wild! I have that fear we will get a brush fire near my place. So far we have been lucky, but we know if fires do make there way where we live, it’s mostly up to us to take care of it. I’m concerned the lack of precipitation this season, coupled by the record breaking precipitation we’ve had the past few years is going to make for an intense 2020 fire season. The plant growth was so intense the past few years that last summer we had apocalyptic proportions of grasshoppers. They annihilated everything I planted. My seven chickens could NOT keep up.

Ha! Obviously you need More chickens 😂

thankfully my daughter and I keep the yard mowed very short. And my husband has a fire truck available to us, plus our water delivery people brought their huge truck up and soaked down what they could. The volunteer firefighters did their best. The only thing we really lost was pasture. 🙏🏻 if not for all those things we would have lost the house. It was something else loading up 12 chickens 10 cats/kittens 2 dogs... and letting the 13 yr old drive the pick up while I walked/jogged my horse away from the fire. I noticed a Huge increase in insects and snakes and mice looking for food near the house where it didn’t burn as bad. I lost the last of my garden to a literal Army of ants, I should have let the chickens at them!! I always forget they don’t Just eat grains lol Really really hoping we get a nice wet spring after the farmers get their seeds in the ground. The vast majority of land immediate to ours is wheat crops so I’m really hoping they put in spring wheat and don’t leave this burnt field til fall planting.

We had our first forest fire of the year, about 20 minutes down the highway. With the wind what it was, they were on top of it right away and as far as I know they got it out. We didn't get wind too bad-- our worst gusts were only about 40 mph, and my chickens were out ranging through all of it. It did manage to pick up and smash the little pre-fab coop I use for integrating babies into the flock, so I have to figure something else out by hatch time this spring. I also got lazy about closing my coop up tight at night and lost 4 of my 7 hens. I feel pretty rotten about that, because it was 100% my fault.

We had our first forest fire of the year, about 20 minutes down the highway. With the wind what it was, they were on top of it right away and as far as I know they got it out. We didn't get wind too bad-- our worst gusts were only about 40 mph, and my chickens were out ranging through all of it. It did manage to pick up and smash the little pre-fab coop I use for integrating babies into the flock, so I have to figure something else out by hatch time this spring. I also got lazy about closing my coop up tight at night and lost 4 of my 7 hens. I feel pretty rotten about that, because it was 100% my fault.

Aww that Sucks about your girls ☹️. Good they had the fire out quickly! It’s crazy how out of hand it can get in short order.

Not going to lie I’m pretty done with the wind. I moved here from northern Alberta and I was very sheltered where I lived in regards to wind. Cold not so much 😂 This winter has been so mild here I almost
Don’t believe my husbands stories about how Cold it gets lol. I’m sure I’ve just been lucky

It's been pretty mild this winter, barring that wierd stint in October that killed my hopes of extended apple processing. Near Livingston is considered one of the windiest places in America! Seen trucks blown right off the interstate and during windstorms traffic gets diverted for that reason. I'm lucky to have a few trees and the hay barn to the west blocking the worst of the wind, and I'm halfway down a hill so it's not so bad as all that, but the wind comes sweeping in from the river.
Near Billings we get the Chinook winds so it's easy livin' compared to pretty much anywhere else in Montana, besides Flathead valley, where it just stays dark, moist, and cool all year round....

Back
Top Bottom