Montana

What breed is the roo ? Is he friendly? Do you have any more Easter Eggers?
The rooster is a Blue Splash Cochin Bantam. He is the very fluffy one that likes to photobomb up there. lol

Because he's a bantam he is very small, and has a very tiny half crow. He is the friendliest rooster I've had the pleasure to meet! He still gets protective of the girls, and he remembers people mostly by their shoes. So when I change shoes he's more likely to re-challenge them. But not only is he small, not very intimidating, and his aggression tactics are what I'd consider very low for a roo, he is also hilariously easy to pick up! And when he's feeling protective that makes him even easier to pick up because he's so focused on those shoes. (In fact I'd recommend doing it to get him away from the challenge mindset)

Even when he isn't he just has no idea how to avoid being picked up. As long as you approach slowly you'll have one fluffy roo in your arms very soon. Then he just kinda sits there in your arms disappointed and confused for a while. And when he was smaller, both he and the hens had a cute habit of chilling on and exploring a person's lap when someone sits down in the run for a length of time. I'm not sure if they still do that as full grown adults, but they very much liked it when someone wore jeans. (great beak napkin material!)

There are two Easter Eggers! They are both pictured in my first post. The two dark brown ones. If you have any interest I can check in with the other party to see how their decision is going. They are the only two I can confirm are laying for sure, since their eggs are unique from the rest. So far I've gotten an egg from them each day, and I'm continuing to monitor egg count. The buffs and one of the silkies were nesty until just recently, so I can't be sure entirely even how many chickens are laying consistently at the moment.

I messed up on my kids' 4h stuff this year since online paperwork is my enemy. A legbar wins overall grand at montanafair and the kid labels her an "Easter egger", doesn't even know what they have. Called it a leghorn cross.
MY LIFE...
Fml

If any 4H people are needing nice males for show and can meet up in laurel or billings (need to know ahead if time for billings), pm me. I've gotlotd of pure breed and some unique little mutts too

Back
Top Bottom