Month old chick missing whole bottom beak-anyone else have this issue?

slc

Songster
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Upper Michigan
I put my month old White Chantecler chicks in the poultry house inside their own pen area. One of the other existing chickens must have gotten hold of it through the wire and it's whole bottom beak is pulled out/broken off. It is acting normal, seems to be eating and drinking etc. It seems to use it's tongue as it's bottom beak. Anyone have this happen? Any idea of it will grow back somewhat? Anyone have a chicken that has lived normally despite a missing beak?

Pics would be really helpful.

If the whole beak is gone then it won't grow back I am sorry to say. I can't really see a bird being able to survive such a devastating injury as this. If it is as bad as you are implying, I think I would cull that bird. A bird without it's bottom beak cannot hope to eat and drink an adequate amount to keep it alive and thriving.

Sorry. Good luck.

Quote:
I will post a pic later. I have sat and watched the chick eating and it does appear to be getting enough to satisfy it. I installed a nipple waterer and it does appear to be figuring out how to make that work too. The bird is energetic and lively. It scratches around and dust bathes and everything else like normal. It has been a week now and still hasn't shown signs of waisting. It must be getting enough water or it would be dead by now. I am feeding small chick crumble and I have a vitamin mix and a little sugar in the water.

Back
Top Bottom