Month old chick with possibly dislocated leg

melknoll

Hatching
Jun 20, 2021
I have a month old Easter Egger chick that hatched with splayed leg. I made a hobble and it seemed to be doing fine, but just this past week it's having a hard time. I don't know if it injured itself again or if the weight is just making it worse, but it seems the leg is dislocated. It's leg points outward and the joint bends underneath. Just today is won't even use the lower half of the leg, it just balances on the joint or flaps its wings to get where it wants. I can't seem to splint it in a way to get the leg to point straight and I don't feel confident in trying to fix the joint. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix/support the leg or is it too far gone? I'd like to save it if possible as it's my daughter's favorite, but I don't want it to suffer either. (This picture is from Wednesday)

IMG_2106.jpg

I have a month old Easter Egger chick that hatched with splayed leg. I made a hobble and it seemed to be doing fine, but just this past week it's having a hard time. I don't know if it injured itself again or if the weight is just making it worse, but it seems the leg is dislocated. It's leg points outward and the joint bends underneath. Just today is won't even use the lower half of the leg, it just balances on the joint or flaps its wings to get where it wants. I can't seem to splint it in a way to get the leg to point straight and I don't feel confident in trying to fix the joint. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix/support the leg or is it too far gone? I'd like to save it if possible as it's my daughter's favorite, but I don't want it to suffer either. (This picture is from Wednesday)

View attachment 2727156
Has the leg been like that since hatch?

Back
Top Bottom