Month old chicks, starting out in tractor, lying down on their sides

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cchase25, Apr 25, 2011.

1. cchase25

cchase25 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Strangest thing, sunny day today (wisconsin) and so put my 10 chicks (abt 30 days old) out in tracotr in yard.... anyhow they just started to lie down on their sides, this was the second time in tractor, they didn't do it the first time. Only about 5 of them are doing it, 2 rocks, two bantams, and one other.... have you ever seen this?

They hop right back up again but it almost looks like like they want to rest on their sides, both legs sticking out a little... listing over, some with the top wing slightly extended, others just walk right over them... but they are hopping up again, foraging while lying donw, seem fine.

Any ideas, ever seen this, is it common?

Thanks, New to Chickens and loving it so far (especially my Buff Orphington, a real snuggler)

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This is known as the "dead chicken syndrome". This posture indicates the epitome of chicken contentment and leisure. They usually like to do this when sunning and dirt-bathing.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Just what I was going to say. Wait for the excavations to start on their bath holes...

Good luck.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Next time you have a sunny day (sure haven't had many of those lately in the Great Lakes area, have we?) find some kind of tub or basi big enough for a chicken or two to fit into, and put three or four inches of dry sand in there. They'll be in heaven.

5. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    Haha! I love watching all 8 of my girls sitting in the garden beds dustbath-scratching in unison. They just seem soo happy to be scrubbing themselves in the dirt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by