Month old with bent legs. HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mconro, Sep 23, 2011.

1. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    We have a sebright/cochin cross that hatached out about 7 weeks ago. He has been doing just fine until tonight. He is housed with another cross that is smaller than he. When I went out to feed them I noticed that he was laying in the pine shavings like he was dusting but when I put my hand in he didnt' try to fly away. As I picked him up I noticed that his legs were straight but the feet were bent in like he is "pigeon toed". And, he can't move his legs from the top of feet down. We tried taping them like for spraddle leg even though we are positive this is not the problem. Does ANYONE have any idea as to what has happened to our chick?? He is eating and drinking just fine.

Thanks for any help!!

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi mconro,

there are a couple of nutritional deficiencies that can cause what you're seeing. I would add some vitamins to the water, and quickly.

The notable ones are vitamin B2 (riboflavin), a lack of which causes curled toe paralysis; and vitamin D, the absence of which causes rickets (bent bones) from inability to absorb calcium.

Best wishes, hope this helps,
    Erica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by