Moody and loud before laying first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deweyprimjosiedelilah, Aug 22, 2011.

1. deweyprimjosiedelilah

deweyprimjosiedelilah Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    My 17-week-old rhode island red has become REALLY obnoxious and loud lately. She sang the egg laying song once a week ago, but we haven't found any eggs yet. Do pullets who are about to lay start to get moody? Will this loud bawk-ing last?

Thanks!

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Absolutely! We call it PES (Pre-egg syndrome) [​IMG]

3. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Sigh. [​IMG]

Yes they sometimes do this...my late hen Boo moaned and muttered and carried on for at least 2...maybe 3 weeks before she finally started to lay. [​IMG] It was absolutely hilarious. She would grumble and groan and then break out in the egg song for a good hour. Then take a deep breath and start moaning and groaning and whinging and muttering all over again.

My hubby called her EmoChicken lol [​IMG]

Once she laid her first egg she snapped out of it and did great but omg that time before she laid it was like having a teenager in the house. LOOKIMEEE!!! LOOKIMEE!!! OMG STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I miss her lol

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

great story....gotta love them![​IMG]

5. QuackyMomma

QuackyMomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    That explains the madness we had in the last 2 weeks... one of the chickens was ultra cranky & loud. This morning, all quiet & peaceful and behold the glory there was a tiny egglet in the nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by