moody, ired acting pullet/hen

FloridaHen

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2015
Highlands County,Florida
(Meant to say Tired in the title)

Lucia is one of my "leghorn?" girls who I bought at Tractor Supply on March 3rd... she was friendly but now seems to just curl up and be by herself a lot. Or she will come sit at my feet when I come in the coop and want to be held? Any ideas what might be going on? She goes out to roam at times like the rest, but she doesn't act as perky and flighty as they do. I also noticed a scab on her neck like she had been picked at but since I don't see any other damage or witness others hurting her, I don't think it is an issue of bullying.

Brynda
Head Hen of the Beaks and Talons Inn (aka the coop)

Last edited:
So these were baby fuzzbutt pullets when you purchased them and the March 3rd is of this year? If so that means we are dealing with a 2(ish) month old bird, correct? When she is curled up by herself is she all puffed up (her feathers) or seeming to be all clamped down on herself? Have you examined her for sings of parasites? Are you seeing her eat, drink and expel waste? What are her droppings like? How long has see seemed off?

So these were baby fuzzbutt pullets when you purchased them and the March 3rd is of this year? If so that means we are dealing with a 2(ish) month old bird, correct? When she is curled up by herself is she all puffed up (her feathers) or seeming to be all clamped down on herself? Have you examined her for sings of parasites? Are you seeing her eat, drink and expel waste? What are her droppings like? How long has see seemed off?

laying on my lap

Puffy but she slides them together all nice and smooth when sitting on my lap.

black scabby ring around neck...didn't notice how much until I went to do pics for this. she has one major spot on her neck I cant get a pic of til I get a 3rd hand...but I got help tomorrow so will see what I can get... the scabs look old and greyish/black

Last edited:
That almost looks more like a cornish cross meat chicken rather than a leghorn.
Can you get a full body pic of them standing up?

X 2 - and at about 2 months the behavior you are noticing would be expected of a Cornish X as the body is reaching the point at which processing would normally take place.

lol.. I have 2 Cornish crosses, 1 of each, in fact the hen (Big Bertha) is a noisy lil thing today so the timing sounds right for the production show with her. Reason am sure they aren't them is the ones I have are 3 times the size of the 3 Angels (Lucia, Lina and Lita). Today was a sweet moment when Lucia found the babies under the coop crawl space and went in and cuddled with them... she is the lover o all of them... I am hoping is just mites, I bought some spray today, so will see if it helps.

Lucia (btw, can see the black scab in her neck there)

Brutus Big Bertha and my cat Dixie... the 2 are Cornish X's .. and lordy are they ever pigs (all 3 o them...lol)...

Can see the difference here... that's Lita and Big Bertha

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom