Moral Conundrum -- The "Bartering Eggs For Coffee" WILL HAPPEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DangerousChicken,

The only moral conundrum you face is the one you put yourself in.

Finish the book. If you like to read you can finish it this weekend. It is easy to read. I've read it two times since Christmas and once before Thanksgiving. I'm not going to tell what Barbara and family did. It would ruin it for you.

You will have to make compromises based on your values and what you are trying to accomplish.

So my suggestions: Buy locally produced items as much as possible. Buy fresh food in season. Consider where your food is coming from, bananas and pineapple anyone. Consider the carbon footprint of the food. Shop your farmers' markets. Read the labels. All the other advice that has been given already.

Tiffany and others.
http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/

I have also heard that there is an herb some locavores use to make a tea that is similar to the flavor of coffee, but I cannot remember what it is called off-hand and have never tried it myself.

Chicory, perhaps? Isn't that a root? Obviously I am not terribly familiar with it, but I know it is used as a coffee substitute.​

Quote:
You forgot beer from Belguim.

The answer to the question on pg 2 -

They bought coffee, tea, sugar, salt etc and chose not to do without it.

Quote:
You forgot beer from Belguim.

The answer to the question on pg 2 -

They bought coffee, tea, sugar, salt etc and chose not to do without it.

Now she won't finish the book and she will miss the turkeys.

I think this is great...I could never do it...even though I think about it all the time.
But I almost always buy my wine locally...we have some of the best vinyards around here.

1) Wine from Italy is the best.
2) Stilton from England cannot be beat.
3) Almonds from Spain are to die for.
4) Chocolate from Switzerland is the win.

1. Sangiovese from Italy is the best. German Rieslings and Gewurtz are also the best. Napa Valley Chardonnay and some Pinots are the best, too. And French Burgundy and Syrah, those are the best as well.
2. English Stilton is good. As is Maytag Blue from Iowa. And brie from Lorraine. And Camembert with fresh apples and a bracing shot of Calvados from Normandy.
3. I dunno, the almonds my MIL grows in Cyprus are also insanely good. Although I grant you, the Spanish ones are also quite nice. Have you had Italian chestnuts? Those are very nice. As are American black walnuts.
4. No, Droste beats Lindt every time.

Now, me personally, I would rather go to Italy, the UK, the Netherlands and the Mediterranean myself and taste all their stuff in person. Hard experience has taught me that what they export isn't at all the same as what they keep for themselves. Export chocolate for the American market can best be described as "cheese," only because "chalk" isn't a food product.​

Quote:
I don't know... have you ever tried Spaten Marzen Oktoberfest, from Germany? To die for!

As for the coffee, it's my understanding that The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf out here on the west coast (they do have a site) only sells fair trade coffee... but you're talking a lot of dough. It's great coffee, don't get me wrong. But I'll stick with Foldgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom