Moral Conundrum -- The "Bartering Eggs For Coffee" WILL HAPPEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh, Yes Rosalind and Carugoman are correct. You cannot technically make "Belgian" beer here for the stated reasons, but you can certainly come close with some of the varieties. No other major beer producing country makes beer the way that the Belgians do and the wild yeasts that create the unique taste of some of these beers exist only in Belgium. But, as Carugoman tried, it could be possible to come close.

Or, we can simply make Belgian beer one of our "Gimmees."
lol.png
Otherwise, you do without. But, life would be very, very sad without a Westamalle Triple. mmmmmm.

Back to the coffee, Community Coffee brand from Louisianna is family owned and they sell a blend with chicory. It is great and I order it off thier website. You should try chicory coffee and report back how you like it.

I agree with many on this thread that it is ok to buy or trade for things you can't grow on your farm. I think that's how early settlements did things. Everyone grew or raised something a little different so they could trade.

Quote:
Be careful with the lemon balm. It will take over your garden. It spreads seeds everywhere, and it also spreads from the roots (I think). So be sure to harvest it before it flowers. It's supposed to act as a mosquito repellent if you rub the leaves on your skin, but apparently our mosquitoes didn't read that useful piece of information!
big_smile.png

And for those of you buying staples from Amish vendors, just be aware that they buy from someone else in bulk and repackage, so a lot of the things they sell are being shipped in from other places as well. I'm not disparaging the Amish, just saying they have to get their salt and spices somewhere.

Thanks for the information on the lemon balm, I will keep that in mind!!
smile.png
And you're right about the Amish/Mennonites shipping in things from other places. The ones I shop from peruse many local vendors, but do ship things in from an Amish distributor in PA. In my opinion, if I have to ship in something, I want my money to go to the small, local guy rather than the big corporations. Thanks again for the tip on the lemon balm!

Purple Chicken, do NOT trash your Rolling Rock. I am not currently a locavore and would love to help you solve your little sophistication problem.

As Ebonics and DoubleSpeak weren't offered when I went to school back in the 60's so uh what the faq is a locavore ? Can you tell me in Proper American English please?​

Locavore == eats food grown within 100 miles of home.

AKA "picky eater"
wink.png

I can say that, because I'm picky.

* Closer to "newspeak", than either of those.
wink.png
Speaking of yeasts-- what about baking yeast, carugoman?? How are you getting that-- keeping back dough or what??

I admire trying to eat only locally grown foods. I support the local farmer's market when I can. But with a full-time job myself, I don't know how you do it.
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom