more chick integration questions

cityeggs

Songster
Oct 25, 2021
Bay Area, CA
I have a mini-flock of 3 hens and 2x5w old chicks. The chicks were inside for the first 2 weeks, then have been out for all but an hour or so of the day in the run inside a 2'x3' dog crate for a "look don't touch" for almost 3 weeks now (still sleeping inside, since I don't have electricity in the coop.

1. They look pretty much fully feathered, though still have some down under their wings - does that count? Are they ready to sleep outside? If so, it seems like I should lock them in the dog crate portion at night for another week or so until integration has gone a little better - is that what you'd advise? And if so, suggestions on how to easily make a make-shift shelter for them? I had a small box in the corner with a roosting bar inside, but the top of the box got gross despite daily scraping (since they spent most of their time on top of the box as far as I could tell), so I tossed it and am hesitant to put another one in there unless it's just for a short period of time.

A handful of times, I've closed the secure run door to keep the hens out and let the chicks explore the coop & run and stretch their legs. Since it's been about 3w of the look don't touch, and the parading and scaring the chicks seemed to have decreased, I decided to try the actual mingling step - I made a little panic door for them, taught them where it was first and then opened the doors. The first time, it went about as well as expected - there was chasing, but the chicks were able to get away - once to roost on the run frame, and another time, they managed to use their panic door to get back into the dog crate. Since they seemed to be ok, I did this again the next day, stayed close by for a bit and left them alone but within earshot. After about an hour, one of the chicks got brave and decided to explore the fenced "free-range" area - and immediately was chased by all 3 hens, cornered and tried to escape through a cattle panel and froze/got stuck, so was a sitting target for feather pulling/pecking by the whole gang. We were there quickly, and got the chick out, scared off the hens and called it quits for integration that day. I hadn't thought they'd run into the open space (having read that most chicks stay in the coop for a few weeks). Lesson learned - I need to put up hardware cloth over the bottom part of the cattle panel portion of the fence, and put up even more clutter in the run to give more shelter. Mostly the stuff is in the corners right now so as not to block the human walking paths, but I guess I need to put more in the center.

2. Is there more I can do to protect the chicks? Or do I just try this for an hour or so every day, stay close by and intervene if the chicks get caught? They are getting too big to hang out just in the 2x3 dog crate, but it doesn't seem safe to open the doors and let the hens at them. I can't lock the hens out of the coop for long periods of time - they can't get to the nest boxes - until they've done laying for the day (which is hard to tell since 2/3 of them don't lay every day - and I never know what kind of day it will be). I do have a chicken wire hoop house (10'x4'x3.5'h) that I can probably fit in the fenced area during the day - should I try that for day time? And if so, do I need to wrap the lower edge with hardware cloth?

Here are recent photos - I've since put a few stumps in the fenced area, one in the run, taken the box out of the dog crate and put the box upside down in the corner of the run, and put a waterproof picnic blanket over the corner of the dog crate where the box was - I will take more photos today and post them here to update.

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpeg
    IMG_1412.jpeg
    986.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1414.jpeg
    IMG_1414.jpeg
    901.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1415.jpeg
    IMG_1415.jpeg
    830.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1418.jpeg
    IMG_1418.jpeg
    793.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
One more question I thought of - should I leave the chick water and food in their "panic room" when I do open the door for a little while before moving it to the main area?

1. You don't mention your hi/lo temperatures but at 5 weeks they should be ok to sleep outside, as a general rule. Rather than put a box inside I'd cover maybe about the back third of the crate with cardboard so there's an area with obvious wind/draft protection for them to sleep in. A roost is not necessary.
Mostly the stuff is in the corners right now so as not to block the human walking paths, but I guess I need to put more in the center.
Make sure that anything that's in corners has at least 1 way in and 1 way out, to prevent chicks from being cornered and stuck.

2. I'd add more clutter, if possible, towards the center (though you said you added more, so I'm just going by photos). Or move clutter around to "mix up" the area for the hens. Make sure if you're going to let the chicks access the full area that they know how to navigate through the gate, for example, to minimize risk of a chase like the prior one. Otherwise at this point... I'd probably leave them to it. And I'd have my window cracked open so I could hear a ruckus if anything happens. :)

Not sure if the hoop house would help or not... anything that's very large would reduce the width of floor space around the obstacle, so that could inadvertently force chicks and hens too close to one another as they move around.

And yes for the time being I would leave the chicks with their own food and water in their safe area, so the adults can't patrol/guard that food source.

Thank you!

We're pretty temperate - nights for us are only in the mid 50F's right now; daytime highs this week are 60's, though we'll probably get some more 70+
IMG_1478.jpeg
IMG_1477.jpeg
degree days. I like your idea of the box on the outside of the crate instead if inside it.

Initially, my thought for putting in the hoop house would be to give the chicks more room without integration and keep them in a look don't touch situation for a little longer. You're right, though - it would make it hard to get around and away, and I'm not realistically going to be able to move it back and forth each day to give them separate integration time. I could cut pop doors in it and leave the door only open for the chicks somehow, but it still would take up a lot of the run.

Here's my attempt at cluttering up the run! The hens weren't sure how to feel about it. My RSL doesn't like it when I move the furniture :lau On the other hand, the Wyandotte hopped right up on a bunch of things right away - does that mean the high places are too low for the chicks to escape to? My Australorp is the only one who gets up on the blue barrel, even though I'm pretty sure they all could (we think RSL flew over the floppy part of the gate a few months back).

All the junk in various spots has an in and an out - no dead-ends where chicks could get trapped.

I just put cardboard up for now on the cattle panel - it'll take me a while to get to cutting hardware cloth etc..

I was also planning to let the chicks out (keeping the big girls in the coop) to explore first for a little bit and hopefully find places to hide/get away.

Maybe this is just normal and I don't have the nerves for it, but I feel like it's going poorly so far. Next time I add chicks, I will try to figure out a way to brood the chicks within sight of the rest the whole time, or will just wait to have someone go broody :( I feel like having more space would also help, but I don't see how to do that right now.

So this morning, I let the chicks wander around out in the run to figure out places to hide/get the lay of the land with the hens locked in the coop still. Then I put the chicks in their dog crate with the pop door open and opened the rest of the doors. Things seemed to be fine - I hadn't heard any squawking for about an hour and then I heard a chick in distress. I came out to one of the chicks (the one who got caught the other day) darting around the obstacles - he seemed to find a place to hop up, and then flew to the top of the fence (from where I could see tiny red wattles coming in quite clearly, so doesn't look like much hope for a pullet there :rolleyes:). I got him down and put him back in the crate, but realized that the other chick was missing. I saw piles of feathers, but no chick. Eventually, I found her hiding behind a box in the coop. She might have even gotten under it - I had flipped it over so they couldn't get trapped, but the ground is pretty uneven - the hens are constantly digging new holes, so I think there was a little tunnel up under. Anyway, I managed to coax her into the crate too. I think the little cockerel had gone looking for her and gotten in further than he could manage. Both chicks have bites on their faces, and had a bunch of feathers pulled, so I locked the door for now.

I had already been considering pinless peepers because I think the two other hens are pulling my Australorp's neck feathers (I've upped the protein in their feed too - handy anyway with the chicks), and now I'm tempted to try them on all the hens to see if that will help with integration. Is that worth trying? My one concern with trying the pinless peepers that my Wyandotte has a slight cross-beak, and one naris is slightly deformed, so I'm not sure the pinless peeper will fit, and even if it does, I'm concerned it will cause her problems.

Is this all normal? Do I just need to let them be and continue to intervene if a chick is in distress? Or is there something else I can do? I am planning to have the chicks sleep outside tonight for the first time in the dog crate, so maybe those extra hour or two of the day - and having them not just be visitors but here to stay - might help?

Maybe this is just normal and I don't have the nerves for it, but I feel like it's going poorly so far. Next time I add chicks, I will try to figure out a way to brood the chicks within sight of the rest the whole time, or will just wait to have someone go broody :( I feel like having more space would also help, but I don't see how to do that right now.
Both those things would help. Something to keep in mind in the future! Each time I brood chicks I try to streamline the process a bit more so I can make it as smooth as possible.
I had already been considering pinless peepers because I think the two other hens are pulling my Australorp's neck feathers (I've upped the protein in their feed too - handy anyway with the chicks), and now I'm tempted to try them on all the hens to see if that will help with integration. Is that worth trying? My one concern with trying the pinless peepers that my Wyandotte has a slight cross-beak, and one naris is slightly deformed, so I'm not sure the pinless peeper will fit, and even if it does, I'm concerned it will cause her problems.

Is this all normal? Do I just need to let them be and continue to intervene if a chick is in distress? Or is there something else I can do? I am planning to have the chicks sleep outside tonight for the first time in the dog crate, so maybe those extra hour or two of the day - and having them not just be visitors but here to stay - might help?
I've never tried pinless peepers but in this case it could definitely help. As far as the cross beaked bird, maybe try them on the other birds first and skip her, and see if that makes any difference at all. It might not be necessary to put them on all the older birds.

Some flocks/birds are simply more aggressive to newcomers than others, so you might have to take things slower or draw it out more gradually. There's no hard rule as far as timing so in this case, more supervision or slowly increasing time spent together in the same area might be necessary.

IMO any extra time the chicks can spend in the company of the older birds, whether in a crate or not, should help. The more the other birds can be familiar with them, the better. Usually by the time I let out the chicks the first time the adults have lost interest in them, so they're slow to react even when they see that the strange peeping things they've been staring at through a fence are only a few feet away from them.

Thank you for your guidance!

I ordered some pinless peepers but have yet to try putting them on. I'm hoping to get help doing that this weekend.

In the meantime, the chicks have been out in the dog crate at night for almost a week - no longer just visitors. And I moved the hoop run into the fenced area so the chicks could have more room and be safe and everyone could spend more time seeing each other. I haven't bothered to try letting everyone mingle yet - the hoop run does take up a lot of room, and I was afraid to try it without the pinless peepers.

My lowest ranked hen (Australorp), still follows them around along the fence and tries to scare them periodically, and when they run away, the others look interested too and occasionally join the chase, but I'm hoping the added face time will make things a little smoother, whether or not the pinless peepers work.

Attachments

• IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom