More dead chicks, no reason...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormhorse23, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    So far ive lost 2 chicks out of 8. One a few days ago and one today. The one today show no signs of illness and was actually the healthiest of the bunch. Checked on them this morning when I left, everything was fine. Got home and she was barely alive, snuggled to her siblings. I picked her up and offered her some water. She wouldn't take it. I moved her to her own mini brooder. She just opened her eyes, stretched out and died. No reason. I got them from Ideal. I've had back luck with chicks from them...Was it my fault? I've had them since Thursday. What could be wrong?

2. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I dont know what could be wrong but I would call Ideal and let them know that your chicks are dying and you want new ones or your money back!! Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]
    Take Care
    Cristina

3. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Im sure you are already aware of this , but Ill ask anyway . Was there any accumulation of waste around their butts ? I've lost some just because I didn't get them cleaned off soon enough .

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do you have enough heat for them? Did you dip the beeks in the waterer to show them where to drink? Did you provide the proper chick starter for them so they could eat?
    Healthy chicks don't just die? it usually is the result of easy causes that weren't cosidered.

bigzio

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of chicks from Ideal. I've had plenty of chicks from Ideal and they are as hardy as any others. As others have asked, how are you raising them? Are they in a draft free place with a lamp for heat? You mentioned she was snuggled up with the rest of the chicks. If they are all piling up and snuggling up next to each other they are too cold. They should be running about eating, drinking, pooping most of the time with lots of naps in between. What are you feeding them? Are they eating it? Are they drinking plenty of water?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2007
  6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Are you using sawdust or shavings that may have sawdust in them? They will eat it and die if you do.

7. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    no pastey butts, all eat and drink like pigs. I use paper towels or shop towels for betting. They are in a rubber maid tub in the bathroom. They have a fairly large brooder. They have an area with a heating pad, an area with a lamp, and an area with nothing so they can choose. Hottest part of the brooder is 95 degrees. Will drop to 90 this tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by