more eggs than hens

ep.gif

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" isn't that what they say? Whoever "they" are. Although I think originally a gift horse I suspect was a nag but not sure and now considered a good thing. Feel free to chime in horse people. More eggs than hens is a good thing and would not question it. Might have to share this story with my 16 girls for inspiration. I am happy getting 10/12 a day but if I got say 17/18/19 I would be......
wee.gif

Since I am a horse person - "Dont look a gift horse in the mouth" means literally that. There have been cases over the years that someone gave someone a horse they did not want to take care of and that horse in the hands of this new person went on to win - some competition or other. And since you can pretty well guess a horses age by looking in their mouth you might have said no to this wonderful horse. Very rare occasion tho.

I didn't miss any. I cleaned the nest boxes just that morning so I know for sure there weren't any missed. The girls are just messing with me-only got three today:rolleyes:

I used to laugh when folks reported getting more eggs than they had hens. Like my grandchildren sticking a few under the hens just to mess with grandma. . .

Then, one night I forgot to shut off the light. The next day I found 11 eggs from my 11 chickens (and that includes Monte the Roo). That was the first and only time I've ever gotten 11 eggs from ten hens in one day.

I am happy if I find 8 eggs a day, although, lately I've only been getting closer to six or seven.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom