More "Is this a sign of imminent laying?" questions...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tikidoc, Aug 23, 2008.

1. tikidoc

tikidoc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2007
    We have a mixed flock of Golden Polish, Buff Orpingtons, Delawares, Buff Brahmas, and what were billed as "Araucanas" but I suspect to be EEs. They are just about 18 weeks. I think I am seeing some squatting, and they are noisy and making huge poops the last 2-3 days. Some of them (some Orps, Delawares and EE's, one Brahma) are getting redder combs.

The most notable new behavior (started a couple days ago) is digging holes in the dirt in the stall where they live (with access to the pasture) and wallowing around in it, rolling in the dirt and pulling dirt/bedding forward with their beaks. Sometimes 2 or 3 will share a hole and roll on each other. Here's a pic of the Orps, rolling around:

[​IMG]

So is this an "I'm gonna lay an egg soon" behavior, or are my hens just messy???

2. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I believe that's just taking a dust bath. They all do that at all ages! It's a bird thing! They look so crazy when they do it. I love to watch them. Mine will all line up and take turns. Most of the time 2 or 3 of them will try to get in the same dust hole and just flap and look all goofy. [​IMG]

3. tikidoc

Dec 23, 2007
    Oh, well, wishful thinking. Odd I have never seen them do it before (and no tell-tale holes in the dirt until 2 days ago).

4. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Agreed, they are trying to dust bath in the coop.

another couple months they should all be laying.

5. tikidoc

Dec 23, 2007
    Quote:MONTHS???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by