More knee problems....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by booker81, Sep 17, 2010.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    So here I am in the hospital, writing on my phone....if you are a Facebook friend, you know what's going down. [​IMG]

To make a massively long story short, my knee is currently wide open with drainage tubes in it (completely covered) , 4 loose stitches where there were 35.

The hematoma and blood that had pooled under the skin was cultured and is holding staph aureus, we will find out tomorrow night what it is sensitive to (antibiotics). We do know its resistant to keflex. I'm currently on iv clindamycin now every 8 hours.

I will here for at least a few days. This started on Tuesday, I had additional surgery Thursday, and may require additional surgery on my knee to close it once we know all infection is cleared.

I miss being home and I miss my chickens [​IMG] I've now had three operations on my knee in two months, two within one week, and we aren't done yet.

Happy thoughts please!

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, what a tale you have to tell everyone when you get old and gray. Its quite amazing that phones have come this far!
    Geesh, I'm beginning to sound like my mother! Hee hee.
    Perhaps they will put you on a wound vac, a machine that heals things up really fast! I had one for 5 months. Living in a hospital is no fun, but take this time and get waited on! Its the only time, once you get home you will be up and doing things! [​IMG]
    Well, I don't know you, but know that your in our thoughts and prayers. Hope your healing is quick, simple and as few of surgeries as possible!!!!!
    Kel

3. azmotogirl

azmotogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    My Mom went through this in just the past few months..... MRSA infections in her knee after surgery. Hope they find the right antibiotic for you! My Mom had IV meds for 6 weeks to clear her infection and is doing great (all at 82 years old). I know things look difficult now but I'm sure you will be on the mend in no time.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Dang! So sorry... that knee is giving you a run for your money!! [​IMG]
    Best wishes.. [​IMG]

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Well, looks like whatever staph I have is resistant to clindamycin...getting sicker AGAIN, fever is back, again.

I'm so sick of this. The doc has already started pushing for me to go home....and the sensitivity tests aren't even done! They won't know what antibiotic is effective until 6pm at the earliest tonight!

I've called the manager. Part of my long story includes an inappropriate discharge and very poor treatment (i was sent home when I should have been getting surgery), and the manager and administrator have been in many times to talk to me. I'm starting to get the same treatment as when I was discharged then - more concern on when they can kick me out than what my current health is.

Gah. Our health insurance will HATE me. I don't think I have a limit, but I have to check. I don't know what this will all cost, but we have to pay 20%. Massive suck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by