More light = more eggs!!

kwynn's birds Alaska :

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

...and some of us that only have 4-5 hours of daylight in the winter really need to add artificial light... I can't afford to feed 50 birds over the winter if they're not laying eggs! Just make sure they have good feed and plenty of calcium.
wink.png

I didn't want to have to feed mine if I wont get any eggs. I decided to add a light to the coop, which will be a heat lamp later on. I'm not getting any eggs right now, and it looks like a pillow blew up in the coop. (I'm guessing it's molting time.) By the way, how long do they go through molt for?
tongue.png

Hi Kwynn! ~ I have to tell you, my hubby's family is all up in Kenai ~ My inlaw's run a B&B there called Tanglewood B&B.
We went up there this summer, ( most of August), & had SOOO much fun. My mother-in-law said we got the sunniest days all year, and it wasn't much. By the time we got back to Idaho, it felt like winter was getting ready to set in, but then there was sunshine here, so it was rather strange, re-acclimatizing.

I don't see how you could raise hens for eggs up there unless you DID add lights, otherwise, you'd likely never see a single egg.

And I just have to say ~ WOW ~ the cost of EVERYTHING up there is astronomical. I guess the dividend helps to offset it a tiny bit, but ~WOW~ . We were blown away by the cost of groceries. And that's just the people food ~ I can't imagine what the animal food must cost. Thank goodness for the whole free-range concept, eh?
~Red​

Back
Top Bottom