Addict
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Sep 7, 2015
New Lenox township. Illinois USA
My Coop
My Coop
Just some articles I have found using more natural feed additives
since most of the studies are on cx I'll put it in the meat bird section.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...oils_in_broiler_chicken_production_-_a_review
Summary
Essential oils are the subject of both in vitro and on-farm (in vivo) experiments
on poultry. There is strong evidence that essential oils have a positive effect on the
production performance of broiler chickens, which is reected in reduced feed in-
take, increased body weight gains, and better immunity and health. Therefore, new
preparations for poultry are constantly being offered, which contain essential oils
having strong bacteriostatic properties. Undoubtedly, a great advantage of the es-
sential oils is the fact that no bacterial antibiotic resistance that might be developed
as a response to their constituents has ever been reported. Essential oils are used in
quite a wide range of dosages, and an additional advantage is that they can be admin-
istered besides vaccination. In contrast to chemotherapeutic agents, phytobiotics do
not burden the bird’s organism and do not require a waiting period before slaughter,
which guarantees food safety.
In conclusion, essential oils are the bioactive substances that have many potential
applications, though the literature often lacks important information on the details
of their dosage. Further research is needed in order to fully evaluate the potential of
essential oils in animal production. The results published so far, which prove the ben-
ecial effects of essential oils, should be supported by additional analysis that would
preclude any methodological aws, such as an insufcient number of replications,
varying environmental conditions, or too short a time of application.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cinn...ff_src.aff-lilpar_c.partners_learning&irgwc=1
The pH of the matrix in which the EOs are present affects their hydrophobicity which will influence their interaction with the bacterial cell membrane, and therefore, affect the antibacterial action of EOs across the different segments of the gut. The impact of pH on the biological activity of EOs and their ability of affecting the bacterial growth of some undesirable bacterial species makes them ideal candidates as gut bacterial modulators. As a result, the inclusion of EOs in animal diets could potentially minimize the occurrence of intestinal diseases caused by undesirable bacteria, and could favor the growth of beneficial gut microbiota supporting growth performance. (Michiels et al. 2009)

https://www.european-poultry-scienc...-response,QUlEPTQyMjA3NjUmTUlEPTE2MTAxNA.html
Summary
A straight run experimental design was conducted to determine the effect of feeding corn-soy diets with or without two levels of hot pepper (HP; 1.5 and 3 g/kg diet) as a non-antibiotic growth promoter (non-AGP) or Oxytetracycline (OTC; 0.1 g/kg) as an AGP on growth performance, carcass and organs criteria, meat quality, plasma lipid and immunological response. Hubbard broiler chicks were randomly divided into 4 equal groups each of six replicates of 6 birds each.

Hot pepper supplementation had a significant positive effect on body weight gain, whereas OTC did not affect BWG over the control. Hot pepper increased feed intake, compared to the control and OTC. Dressing percentage significantly decreased due to OTC supplementation. Either HP (1.5 g/kg) or OTC significantly decreased abdominal fat percentage. In addition, 1.5 and 3 g HP/kg diet significantly decreased gizzard percentage and plasma triglyceride of 45 d-old chicks. There was a significant decrease in flavor, color and acceptability of breast meat due supplementation of 3 g HP/kg diet, whereas 1.5 g HP or OTC at 0.1 g/kg diet significantly increased taste, flavor, tenderness, color and acceptability of thigh meat. In conclusion, HP at 1.5 g/kg could be used as an alternative AGP for broiler chickens without negative effect on carcass and organs criteria.

I'm guessing that more natural feed additives are for those who make their own poultry feed? So I'm tweaking the original post a bit. I saw some articles about using blood meal in fish food. That got me wondering about using blood itself, not dehydrated, in homemade poultry pellets (or fish pellets) that would be extruded from a meat grinder and dried in an oven. Many recipes call for the pellets to be oven dried anyway, and use liquid as a binder, so using blood from poultry processing would provide the protein and liquid, and the oven heat would kill any pathogens. Definitely natural, could be self-sustainable, but online recipes for the Western world don't use blood meal, and online recipes that do, also use obscure ingredients that we don't grow. Has anyone formulated their own feed pellets? (A nod to the original post: maybe add hot peppers!)

I'm guessing that more natural feed additives are for those who make their own poultry feed? So I'm tweaking the original post a bit. I saw some articles about using blood meal in fish food. That got me wondering about using blood itself, not dehydrated, in homemade poultry pellets (or fish pellets) that would be extruded from a meat grinder and dried in an oven. Many recipes call for the pellets to be oven dried anyway, and use liquid as a binder, so using blood from poultry processing would provide the protein and liquid, and the oven heat would kill any pathogens. Definitely natural, could be self-sustainable, but online recipes for the Western world don't use blood meal, and online recipes that do, also use obscure ingredients that we don't grow. Has anyone formulated their own feed pellets? (A nod to the original post: maybe add hot peppers!)

making your own pellets is difficult to get the right nutrients
https://www.nap.edu/read/2114/chapter/4 has the % recomended
If you live where you can free range they can get a lot of what they need.
But most of the modern chickens are not the same as what my grandparents had that could find their own food during decent weather.
@rjohns39 shared this.. he has a fed mill make it for him.. I believe it is a mash not pellets or crumbles.

Attachments

• Example Rations heritage.pdf
    110.1 KB · Views: 1
It definitely seems that some EO have a positive effect on levels of harmful bacteria but I wonder if it is significant enough to be cost effective. I wonder how it compares to ACV use.
The article notes that most of the studies had the EO added to water in micrograms/mL so you wouldn't have to adjust your feed.

It definitely seems that some EO have a positive effect on levels of harmful bacteria but I wonder if it is significant enough to be cost effective. I wonder how it compares to ACV use.
The article notes that most of the studies had the EO added to water in micrograms/mL so you wouldn't have to adjust your feed.
It is harder to get antibiotics and some of us don't want to use them. So in these cases it would be useful. Also some people will pay more for eggs/meat that are antibiotic free.
I am sure if your a large producer the antibiotics are cheaper and easier.

Back
Top Bottom