More NPIP Fun.

Fanci Feathers Marans

Chicken Tender
Jun 26, 2017
Missouri
Okay, so I got my NPIP packet in the mail today, and highlighted in the front page of Standard C is

"Dogs, cats, sheep, cattle, horses, and swine should never have access to poultry operations."

We live on a farm, how is this possible? Does it mean that the chickens shouldn't be able to get into the house, or that they should never come into contact with the animals? How far do their pens have to be from the other animals? Cats and dogs will obviously roam around, so...?

Anyone had experience with this before?

So physical contact then? That makes sense, but it would break my heart if I could never let them loose again...
You could build a fully enclosed run to "let them loose in."

Can you take a photo of that whole page and post it here?

They would have a run, but it's just not the same as free ranging.

(Part C)
15204629028941091034108.jpg

Looks like your state is not fond of free ranging. That stinks. Is there a specific reason you want to become a member?
Yes, I want to sell hatching eggs and chicks. I especially have to have it if I want to ship eggs to my friend in Canada.
Poor lil hens. I guess I'll have to do it, since this is what I have them for.

Yes, I want to sell hatching eggs and chicks. I especially have to have it if I want to ship eggs to my friend in Canada.
Poor lil hens. I guess I'll have to do it, since this is what I have them for.
I wonder if you could "house" only certain birds...the ones you are using for this reason?

OR if it is an all or nothing type deal.
It can't hurt to ask.

That would be something to think about, but the only ones that would be excluded would be two hens. I'm sure that that would be legal, though.
Legal and being NPIP are two different things.
Double check with them.
Now that I think about it more I am guessing it would not really be something I would think they would allow.

Back
Top Bottom