More Problems on Auntie's Farm

I am so sorry! What a terrible thing to have happen!

I love my birds - don't get me wrong. But I am not sure I'm giving them a good life considering all the illnesses I've encountered this season. I MUST be doing something wrong. Maybe my run is not clean enough. But it's a huge run, and I'm not entirely sure how much cleaner I can make it. I spot clean, clean roosts and nest boxes daily. Fresh food and water every day. A thorough cleaning 1x or 2x a week. Good, fresh food. Limited treats. Regular health checks. Idk. I'll do my best by my beautiful birds, but I won't add any new birds.

You say "this season," like you haven't had anything wrong beforehand.

I'm going to be honest with you - last year I lost more birds and had them sick more than any other time I've had them in 5 years. This year I've had *awful* hatch rates in both my incubator AND broody hen situation.

Sometimes, bad years happen and then the next it's like nothing ever happened and your flock returns to normal. I've seen a lot of chicken keepers get sick birds more times than they can count in one year and the next everyone's fine.

Don't be hard on yourself.
Check food milling dates.
Check waterers.
And above all, remember that death and illness sometimes happens. Sometimes it's something we can't fix - you're not doing a bad job.

Sometime birds just get sick or pass . That is something I have had to learn . It hurts me every time to lose a bird(s) . I think though it's part of raising animals . You will eventually lose some . It's hard when nothing is working and you feel like you're failing
That's where I'm at right now. So much has gone wrong all at once. And this farm we have now is less ideal for my flock, as weird as that sounds. They were happier when we lived in the 'burbs.

You say "this season," like you haven't had anything wrong beforehand.

I'm going to be honest with you - last year I lost more birds and had them sick more than any other time I've had them in 5 years. This year I've had *awful* hatch rates in both my incubator AND broody hen situation.

Sometimes, bad years happen and then the next it's like nothing ever happened and your flock returns to normal. I've seen a lot of chicken keepers get sick birds more times than they can count in one year and the next everyone's fine.

Don't be hard on yourself.
Check food milling dates.
Check waterers.
And above all, remember that death and illness sometimes happens. Sometimes it's something we can't fix - you're not doing a bad job.
I do check dates and waterers. And, no, I've not had this much hardship all at once. I lost a hen in Dec of 2020. And 2 of my ducks had bumblefoot last year that required soooo much nursing. That's pretty much it since 2018... until April of this year.

I know things can go wrong, but they don't seem as happy now, and I'm not enjoying them as much because o feel like I'm failing at this. I'm not giving up on these birds. I'm just closing my flock. I have 8 week old chicks and a 4 week old duckling, so I'll have birds for several more years, I think. I hope.

I was starting to feel a lil optimistic, but that may have been premature. Marmalade is isolating herself and not eating much. She's drinking A LOT of water, though. She ate thr peas I gave her with her meds in them, but she seems unhappy.

How long until I know if the antibiotics are making any difference? She had her third dose this evening.
😞

No way of knowing but I'd think after a week on meds she should be showing improvement.
Is she separated from her flock? if so maybe put her out with them but where she can still rest and recoup?

No way of knowing but I'd think after a week on meds she should be showing improvement.
Is she separated from her flock? if so maybe put her out with them but where she can still rest and recoup?
She is eating today and she had a normal poop. She also put up more of a fight when giving her the meds this morning.

She and my Swedish, Clementine, have been hanging out in the duck house, which is adjacent to the coop and opens into the same run/yard as the main coop. It's pretty shady in there and quiet. I think that's the best situation for now.

I was so afraid of walking out there this morning and finding her dead....

Just gotta be patient and trust the vet. I'm wishing she would have put her on the implant already. I asked about it, but she said to wait. I just imagine egg material being deposited into her peritoneum every morning. Seems like we're only partway addressing the issue.

Marmalade update:

She seems to be feeling at least a little bit better. She was out and about for several hours today. She didn't go swimming, but she hung out by the duckie pool while her sisters swam. She ate more today, too.

However, her abdomen has filled up again. I will call my regular vet on Monday and see if he can drain her. I know folks drain their own birds, but I'm not super comfortable with it. I'll also ask about hormone implants.

Back
Top Bottom