More Problems on Auntie's Farm

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Doing my usual body condition check, two things came up with my ducks.

1. Clementine, 1.5 yo Swedish, has bumblefoot developing on her left foot. I will treat it, but I caught it early, so she should be fine.

2. Marmalade, 1.5 yo Welsh Harlequin, has a swollen abdomen. I squished it a bit, and it seems I felt something in there. An egg? A cyst? A tumor?

So my questions are - Is it possible I felt an egg in there? If so, would it be best for me to just check again tomorrow morning to see if she's laid? Or should I bring her inside for observation?

In other words, should I suspect something awful yet?

I lost a beloved hen yesterday, two chicks in May, and another dear hen in April. I have so much going on with my flock right now that I can't. Folks often say that it isn't that hard to raise birds: you feed them, water them, keep them clean, and protect them from predators. I'm doing all those things and still running into so many problems this season. It's frickin hard right now.

wait until tomorrow and see if your girl still has a bump, if she does i would definitely bring her to the vet

i’m so sorry about your hen. we just recently lost one of our girls to a seizure a couple weeks ago, losing them is so hard.
Hopefully, it's just an egg. I really can't lose another. I don't know how folks manage. I'm wondering if I'm not providing something that is causing all these health problems.

I hate that for you. I lost my favorite bird at the end of last year and hatched 2 chicks from her. A few months ago gnats killed both the miracle babies (who I was very close to) and my sisters hen. It was a hard time. Now I have 11 chicks in the house!

I hate that for you. I lost my favorite bird at the end of last year and hatched 2 chicks from her. A few months ago gnats killed both the miracle babies (who I was very close to) and my sisters hen. It was a hard time. Now I have 11 chicks in the house!
Oh gosh! That's awful about your hen and the miracle babies! I am so incredibly sorry!
:hugs

I think I am done with chickens. What I mean is that I won't be adding any more. I will do my best to give these 25 (19 chickens and 6 ducks) the best life I can give them, but once they pass, I will not get any more. I am overwhelmed right now. It's a full time job caring for them with all the problems I'm seeing. I am at my limit.

Oh gosh! That's awful about your hen and the miracle babies! I am so incredibly sorry!
:hugs

I think I am done with chickens. What I mean is that I won't be adding any more. I will do my best to give these 25 (19 chickens and 6 ducks) the best life I can give them, but once they pass, I will not get any more. I am overwhelmed right now. It's a full time job caring for them with all the problems I'm seeing. I am at my limit.
It's ok.

I could never just stop. I dread the years when my first flock gets old and start dying. But I suppose I'll get through it. Me wanting new breeds, colors, and patterns just keeps me going.

@Aunt Angus did you give your duck some cal glu just in case? I am so sorry your having such heartache. It’s heartbreaking to lose our pets. That’s how I see my birds. I have had a Wyandotte in the house it will be 2 weeks tomorrow treating for bumble. She has been so sweet we have enjoyed having her in but treating bumble sure isn’t for the faint of heart. I truly understand where your coming from. So very sorry for your losses.

@Aunt Angus did you give your duck some cal glu just in case? I am so sorry your having such heartache. It’s heartbreaking to lose our pets. That’s how I see my birds. I have had a Wyandotte in the house it will be 2 weeks tomorrow treating for bumble. She has been so sweet we have enjoyed having her in but treating bumble sure isn’t for the faint of heart. I truly understand where your coming from. So very sorry for your ldosses.
Definitely not an egg. Emergency vet visit today. Two hour drive and $250 just to be seen.

I. Can't. Even.

Husband thinks it's something they are getting into in the yard. Is that possible? Could something in the environment cause Salpingitis in hens and whatever is ailing Marmalade?

Back
Top Bottom