more run info needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rosyposyosy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

would these work to build a run or would it be too dark?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Those wooden lattice panels can fall apart over time unless they are very well framed in. There are staples holding the slats together and as the wood gets old it starts to rot around the staples. I think as they aged a predator like a Raccoon would be able to bust in eventually if you didn't have some wire on there too.

I think they look nice though and would work well on top of a run if you want some light shade for the chickens, or to partially disguise the run from neighbors.

3. NJfarmer

NJfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    baby chicks can go through the holes

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  4. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    i wont have any baby chicks by the time this is built - i am planning a coop for the time when we move. we havent sold our house yet - which we thought we would've by now. i do have a baby chick - but shes not with the other chickens until shes older.

5. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    I'm going to agree with greenmulberry that redwood lattice, especially the 1/4" stuff, wears out and becomes vulnerable to breakage.

It might be a nice layer in front of wire fencing in order to make the run more appealing in appearance, but I would not rely solely upon that material to keep your birds safe.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree, I don't know how well that lattice will hold up in the long run.

7. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    you can get plastic lattice for $14 for 8 ft. at lowes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by