1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

More than 1 egg a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ohhhdear, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    This morning I gathered 8 eggs about 9:15. After lunch I went out again to give the girls apple peels and half a loaf of stale banana raisin bread, and found 5 more eggs in another nest box. That's THIRTEEN full sized, extra large, normal eggs from TWELVE hens! And I know I didn't miss one of yesterday's.

I had read that the egg production cycle was 24-26 hours.

Has anyone else experienced this? It sure was a first for my flock. Not that I'm complaining any. Especially since it's mid-winter & very cold.

Also, after a double-lay day, I'm assuming that that someone will probably miss laying tomorrow?

They are getting a lot of protein, some fats, and greens supplementing their 16% laying crumble.

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    It is possible for a hen to lay two in a day. There have been several posts here like that. Do you collect the same time every day? How many eggs did you get the day before? How many did you get today?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  3. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I usually gather the eggs between 9 and 9:30 am. The day before (Saturday) and today (Monday) there were 10 eggs each day.

13 eggs from 12 hens really surprised me. There have been irregular eggs all along, such as a shelled micro-egg with no yolk, double yolkers, and a very occasional jelly egg.

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I don't know, but I think that may be happening with mine too. I have 2 EE's that are definitely laying, yet I am getting 4-5 eggs a day and no other chicken shows any sign of laying. I go out there often to catch them, but only see those 2 in the nest boxes. It's a mystery to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by